battery hookup GT275

/ battery hookup GT275 #1  

psmullen

Tractor
John Deere GT275
I don't understand how to connect new battery positive cable to new battery. Neg is connected. Positive has a small wire which replaced the old cable small wire, and I have that connected properly

Then the large cable (which is bundled with the small one) also has 2 contacts. One contact fits over the positive post and has the red plastic cover, and on the same cable it has another contact without a hood cover.
When I somehow touched that uncovered contact to the tractor frame it created a strong spark. I don't understand how these 2 contacts are supposed to be connected to the battery.
Any help appreciated

/ battery hookup GT275 #2  
:welcome:

Never have the negative ground attached to the battery when working with the red positive cables. That is a potential disaster, and also will provide some sparks.

With the negative black cable disconnected, hook up the red cable and wires to the positive post. After that, hook up the negative.

If I understand your description, this is the only problem.

/ battery hookup GT275 #3  
If only your negative cable is hooked to the battery and you are getting an arc from your positive cable on the tractor frame you have the negative hooked to the wrong post on the battery.