Tractor
    John Deere 345 & Kubota B3200 FEL

Default Snow Blower or Plow

I'm debating on whether to purchase a snow blower or a plow for my john deere 345. I'd rather a plow because the blower gets you soaking wet, but i feel like a blower would be much more efficient. I can't decide.
    John Deere 345 + MMM + Sweeper + Utility Trailer
    Kubota B3200 + Rear Blade + 3pt Chipper

Tractor
    Kubota B26, John deere X595

Quote Originally Posted by critter986
    I'm debating on whether to purchase a snow blower or a plow for my john deere 345. I'd rather a plow because the blower gets you soaking wet, but i feel like a blower would be much more efficient. I can't decide.
    I have a single stage blower on my GX345 and it works great. I'm sure a two stage would be even better yet. I used it for a while without a cab and it really wasn't that bad. I recently came across a beautiful Curtis cab, and couldn't pass it up. Now all I need is a heater, and I will be all set for next winter.

As far as a plow goes, I don't know how much snow a 2wd tractor will be able to handle, before having traction problems. If you have a differential lock, I'm sure that would help, just not sure if it will be enough in deep wet snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-330825201-png  
    2010 Kubota B26 TLB w/hyd thumb. 2004 John Deere X595 w/62" MMM.

Carl Bertuzzi

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_X485, JD_425, JD_455, JD_110

Default Re: Snow Blower or Plow

It is a tough decision. Check out the Snow Removal forum here for a lot of different snow moving systems from members.
    I have a 7' blade and move snow from 1/4 mile with three turn-arounds. A blower would simply take too long, and require much more maintenance than a blade. But then I have a place to put the snow, and a wing plow to help put it there, and a tractor to make it work. Toss on the snowmobile helmet when the wind blows and have fun.
    Good luck on your decision.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    J.D./4115

It is, indeed, a decision that has to weigh many factors. Having 600' of crushed stone driveway and several hundred yards of tractor/wood roads I keep cleared in central Vermont, and already having a 60" rear blade, I opted for a 47" front mount 2-stage blower for my 4115. Some of my reasoning was that plowing dug up my driveway and always some of my lawn, I have no neighbors close enough to worry about throwing snow (or stones...) on their property or cars, and the edges of the drive don't build up so deep I need to wing it back several times a winter. The blower, as I found out this winter, does take some maintenance and I do have to manually adjust the skids a few times per winter, depending on how soft or frozen the ground is. As for getting wet or covered with snow, I have Carhartt extreme coveralls, ski goggles, knit cap, and various gloves or heavy mitts. Blowing is definitely slower than plowing but I love seeing those plums of snow shoot 50' off into the woods and the clean edges of the driveway. When needed, I use the rear blade to clean the piles of snow, dirt, and gravel the town truck leaves at the end of the drive.
    JD 4115, 410 FEL, 46 BH, 1060 Groomer, 5' R. Blade, 47" Snowblower, iMatch..Big Grin

Tractor
    JD 2305

I would base that decision on the amount of snow you expect in your area and how much space you have available to push the snow. A plow is cheaper, but tends to dig up the ground more. It is also limited by the weight and power of your tractor. Unless you have a fairly heavy (over 2,000 lb.) tractor you are not going to be able to push too much snow. A blower will handle most anything mother nature can throw at you. It will also eliminate the issue of where to push the snow.