Whats the best way to smooth a dirt road?

/ Whats the best way to smooth a dirt road? #1  

critter986

Tractor
John Deere 345 & Kubota B3200 FEL
I have a john deere 345 and am looking to put a sleeve hitch on the back. I have many dirt roads running around my property and am wondering what the best way to smooth these roads is.

/ Whats the best way to smooth a dirt road? #2  
I have a john deere 345 and am looking to put a sleeve hitch on the back. I have many dirt roads running around my property and am wondering what the best way to smooth these roads is.

First define "best" (-:
My preference would be a full size road grader, given that is impractical a box blade is probably cheapest, but requires a bit of skill development.
A Harley rake would work if you have an all loose surface and/or can loosen it up - and don't mind the TIME to roller it all back down again.

Part of your definition of "best" may include "quick", or "fairly quick" - but you didn't specify a time constraint - or an equipment budget.
Land planes can be good too, but again for loose or loosened surfaces.
If you are doing over ruts and pot holes - things may be different.

So, wanna give us a bit more info ?
e.g . are they loose dirt ? part gravel ? hard packed dirt ?, hard packed and rutted clay ? etc.
& how do you want this all to finish up ?
If you just want to do annual 'make good' following the ravages of winter that is one thing, re-building is something else.

/ Whats the best way to smooth a dirt road?
Its a packed dirt road that i would like to get smooth. Time is not a factor. The road is five feet wide.

/ Whats the best way to smooth a dirt road? #4  
Rake w/fold down grader blade works pretty darn good.

/ Whats the best way to smooth a dirt road? #5  
Spike harrow with some concrete blocks on it for weight..That 345 would not do much more.. You can drag a section of fence also..They do that stuff on ball diamonds.

/ Whats the best way to smooth a dirt road? #6  

Are we talking about a 345 lawn tractor - 20hp?

If that's the case, I'd go with a variation that Thomas offered - a 4' chunk of I-beam; say, 8"-10" - with a "Y" configured section of chain attached to the rear hitch of your tractor.

Heavy enough to knock down some of the high spots without stalling out your tractor and the gap between the beam edges will tend to hold material and deposit it in the lower parts of your road.

AKfish

/ Whats the best way to smooth a dirt road? #7  
Are we talking about a 345 lawn tractor - 20hp?

If that's the case, I'd go with a variation that Thomas offered - a 4' chunk of I-beam; say, 8"-10" - with a "Y" configured section of chain attached to the rear hitch of your tractor.

Heavy enough to knock down some of the high spots without stalling out your tractor and the gap between the beam edges will tend to hold material and deposit it in the lower parts of your road.

AKfish

Very good idea. :thumbsup: If you had a good section of I beam then you will have a good amount of weight for grading but it wont be over kill for your JD345. :)

/ Whats the best way to smooth a dirt road? #8  
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be looking for a disc compatible for the 345 and when the moisture was right disc the roads an inch or two deep for starters. Then as mentioned pull an "I" beam or "H" beam drag but chain hitch it so it pulls on an angle to prevent it from just riding up and down the humps and if set the correct angle it will help crown the road while filling in low areas.

/ Whats the best way to smooth a dirt road? #9  
You may have a problem.

Put some chains on the tractor and make a drag that can be angled with the towing chains plus be able to put some weight on it.

Don't expect great results as the tractor is a little undersized for what you want to do.:D

/ Whats the best way to smooth a dirt road? #10