New Carburetor for 1520

/ New Carburetor for 1520 #1  

jon edwards

Silver Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 75C, john deere 1520, Polaris 900 XP
I ordered a new Zenith Carburetor for my JD 1520 today. A friend of mine rebuilt the stock carburetor, but the restictor plate was too worn and it won't run correctly. I've been advised that the new carburetor doesn't have an electronic fuel shut off. Now I will have to cut the gas off whenever I turn the tractor off.

I guess this isn't a big deal, but I am prone to forgeting things. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Thanks for the help.

/ New Carburetor for 1520 #2  
Does the carb not have provisions for a fuel shut-off solinoid? Or just not have one? OLder JDs had a manual shut off valve at the carb, does this carb have one?

/ New Carburetor for 1520 #3  
The shut-off solenoid didn't really prevent fuel leakage after engine was shut down. It helped to prevent "dieseling" or "running on" after switch was turned off. That was usually not a problem if ignition timing was set properly, and if you let the engine idle for a minute or two before you shut it down to cool off. Over the years, I have removed some of the solenoids when a customer didn't want to buy a replacement for a malfunctioning solenoid(they are pricey). Just install a traditional load adjusting screw in it's place and you are ready to go. The best prevention for gas leaking through carburetor after shut-off is to install an in-line filter to keep dirt from getting into the float valve. The screen in the inlet elbow is not fine enough. I always cut the steel line and install an AE29052 filter in the line going to the carburetor. Of course the way to absolutely prevent leakage is to shut off fuel at bottom of tank.

/ New Carburetor for 1520
Thanks for the advice. It sounds like I will have to shut the fuel off at the tank. The original carb had an electronic shutoff. The aftermarket one does not. Really not a big deal, I just have to remember to do it.