3-Point Hitch Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #1  

Rad1956

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
I have a JD 3720 -- I'm new, this year, to the JD Quick Hitch! I know that you are supposed to have some play in your rotary mower hook-up -- How do you do that with the Quick Hitch?

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #2  
What do you have for a mower? A couple of pics would help.

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #3  
I have a JD 3720 -- I'm new, this year, to the JD Quick Hitch! I know that you are supposed to have some play in your rotary mower hook-up -- How do you do that with the Quick Hitch?

The "play" is only at the upper link from the mower to the QH. There's a "U" shaped bracket at the upper connection (of the mower) that allows the mower to float across uneven sections of your lawn.
If your's is like mine (also a Deere QH), it'll require some modification to accomodate the mower's top "floating" bracket. I had to have a bracket welded to the top of my QH to allow use of a link to the mower's float bracket. BTW, the "link" may be an optional item from your mower's manufacturer.
Normally, without a QH, it's just a matter of lengthening the top link of the tractor.

Turns out the spacing between the QH lower hooks didn't match my (Befco) mower, so I haven't used the QH yet.
However, several TBNers have modified the QHs and/or implements to work...so, as jenkinsph wrote, a couple pictures of what you have will help in advising you.
In the interim, you'll probably have to remove your QH when you rig your mower.

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch
The Attached picture shows the attachment -- I just don't see how the play is achieved! Sorry for being so ignorant -- I am fairly new to the tractor scene. There is just such a huge investment in all of this, I don't want to do it wrong!!

Attachments

• 464918_imatch.jpg
    464918_imatch.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,807
   / Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #6  
The Attached picture shows the attachment -- I just don't see how the play is achieved! Sorry for being so ignorant -- I am fairly new to the tractor scene. There is just such a huge investment in all of this, I don't want to do it wrong!!

The mower's upper hitch point is attached to the upper hook on the QH. I cannot see anyway that would provide for the mower floating, but you might try extending the tractor's upper link. That will put the QH on a bit of an angle, but might provide some float.
I've seen optional links (for aftermarket RFM's) that connected between the mower and those top two holes (above the hook) of the quick hitch. The Land Pride QH has a floating top link, for example.

So, three suggestions:
1) Contact your Deere dealer, since both the QH and your mower are Deere brand. They should have a fix for this...but it won't be connecting to that upper hook.
2) Take a look at the operator's manual for the Land Pride QH (pg 11). Here's a link: http://www.landpride.com/ari/attach/lp/public/manuals/320-003m.pdf and fabricate a similar floating link bar (#2) to go between the Deere QH upper holes and the mower's floating bracket. This is what I'll end up doing IF I use the QH with my mower. However, it looks like the upper hook may interfere with the float (meaning any links would have to be outside of the upper bracket holes rather between them.
3) Wait and see how other TBNers with the Deere QH have done to accomodate the mower. I'm a bit surprised some haven't responded already.

I suggest you contact the Deere dealer first...again, you're using all Deere branded equipment. The dealer should have the easiest answer. BTW, have you read your mower's manual? It might discribe the QH hook up. As far as your QH, I doubt you got a manual...I didn't.

Last edited:
   / Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #7  
That pic does show how it "floats". But it only shows it in tension mode carrying the rear of the deck. It will fold at the dual pins (one is a pivot, the other is a bumper) about 8" aft of the top iMatch hook (as I recall).

A better "fix" is to replace the steel straps that angle to the rear of the deck with chain. That allows more "float" and more freedom than one pictured. (posted in linked forum thread).

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #8  
Rad,

Looking at your picture you look to be good to go. This assumes your IMatch hook is around a large bushing and horizontal bolt and nut.

The problem with adding chains to the rear is keeping the front mast in the up position to allow you to hitch up easily. A couple of compression springs to counteract the chain tension would help.

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #9  
That pic does show how it "floats". But it only shows it in tension mode carrying the rear of the deck. It will fold at the dual pins (one is a pivot, the other is a bumper) about 8" aft of the top iMatch hook (as I recall).

That's not going to allow for much float, beenthere, especially going down into a dip then driving back up...

I know a lot of TBNers do replace those straps with chain (especially on rotary cutters). I'm not a big fan of that as it would seem to reduce the rigidity of the mower deck.
Land Pride has a pretty good solution and I'd be surprised if Deere doesn't have a solution (although they didn't when I bought my Deere QH last year).

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #10  
That's not going to allow for much float, beenthere, especially going down into a dip then driving back up...

I know a lot of TBNers do replace those straps with chain (especially on rotary cutters). I'm not a big fan of that as it would seem to reduce the rigidity of the mower deck.
Land Pride has a pretty good solution and I'd be surprised if Deere doesn't have a solution (although they didn't when I bought my Deere QH last year).

Don't off-hand know what LandPride has, but the Deere float shown in the pic is as much as the non-iMatch compatible have for movement. Not enough for me either.

I've the chains on my Deere 513 rotary cutter, and they don't reduce any more "rigidity" than the straps. Just sayin.... If it were just one chain, maybe that would be an argument but not two chains. The steel straps on many rotary cutters are bent because they don't accomodate enough movement (as in the example you mentioned). Chains do accomodate.

Attachments

• RC513Bank.jpg
    RC513Bank.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 2,147