Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 3520 w/ 300CX

Default 3520 brake issue - I think

All, I decided to be a nice grandson and drive up the road to my grandparent's place and till their garden. Ok, so I cruise up there and till and no problems. We had a bull delivered today as well that I wanted to look at, so when I was done I parked the tractor I let it cool off a bit, then shut it down and put the ebrake on. About a half hour later I decided to make the trek home. It felt a little sluggish but not too bad. I get back to my driveway where I have to slow way down and it practically stalls. So, I gingerly pull in and take a look at it. No matter what range I put it in now it wants to stall unless I give it a ton of throttle. Literally feels like the brakes are on. So I mess around with the ebrake lever (and yes I let it off before leaving), and there is no tension at all when I pull it back up. So, its almost like it is stuck on (I think). Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 3520 w/ 300CX

Default Re: 3520 brake issue - I think

Ok, so problem solved. I climbed under the tractor and looked at the ebrake and nothing looked out of place there (was thinking maybe something broke or was jammed). So, onto the other side (PR, so right side brake pedals). So nothing there either except there was a lot of play when I was pushing my brakes down with my hand (reaching up and doing it was a pain but that is how I found the problem). So, I took a rubber mallet and tapped the cast piece that the brake connects to at the drivetrain. It had about an inch of play. Started the tractor up and it is back to normal now. I have no idea how the heck that happened nor have I ever had an issue like this before. Tractor is a 2007 with 179 hours. I tried the brakes out and they seem to work fine now too, so maybe it had some dirt in there or something that prevented it from retracting.

Tractor
    John Deere 2240 MFWD

Glad to hear that you found and fixed the problem.

I looked at your thread a bit ago, but didn't respond as I had no useful info for you. Again, nice job. Sometimes it just takes a little hunting to find the issue.
    Cyril

JD 2240 MFWD (with duels now)
    145 FEL, 8ft Rear blade (now I need a 12ft blade)

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 3520 w/ 300CX

Thanks. I am just happy it wasn't something that required a trip to the dealer. I love easy fixes.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300

As I read on a sign somewhere, if you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 3520 w/ 300CX

LOL, I'll have to remember that

Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

Easy fixes are very nice to have. With my Yanmar I noticed that the left brake was no longer working and my left brake pedal had a lot of play in it. I took a look under my tractor and found out that a small pin had come out and the brake pedal was no longer attached to the brake lever underneath. So I took a large cotter pin, stuck it in there, has worked ever since. I know i need to get a new pin but the cotter pin has sure worked out well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3520 brake issue - I think-5-23-10-037-jpg   3520 brake issue - I think-5-23-10-033-jpg  
    My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club

Tractor
    '07 John Deere 3320

had the same prob with my 3320. Found out from the great peaple on TBN that the steel shaft will stick in the aluminum housing. Was told to put some fluid film or somthing like it on the shaft and work it back and forth. Mine has done it a couple of times but I just carry a hammer in the cab and can reach behind the tires and tap the cams back if they want to stick again. Glad you cought it before spending alot of time and or money to get it fixed...