Report on 3038E with 6' bushhog

/ Report on 3038E with 6' bushhog #1  

msmud

Silver Member
Folks,
I bought a 3038E with RC2072 cutter last summer for my 100 acres and thought I would give report on my experience FWIW to those thinking of buying this tractor. The machine only has 40 hours on it, since bushhogging is all I use it for. I did have a warranty repair when the tachometer failed at about the 30 hr point, but the dealer got on that quickly. So far, this tractor has had no trouble whatsoever powering a 6 foot bushhog, and burns only 0.6- 0.7 gal per hour doing it.

I was concerned that the R4 tires might not have enough traction, but lowering the pressures to around 10 rear, 18 front has helped ride and wheel-spin considerably. I may lower them more in the rear. I have no wheel weights nor liquid fill, and usually don't need to put it in 4 wheel drive despite operating on hilly terrain.

A 6' hog is a bit big for this tractor but it maneuvers fairly well. I did have to get the front bracket extension with 8-70# weights in order to ballast adequately. I have found the RC2072 can cut small trees larger than its 1" rating if I move slowly over them. 2" trees have not been a problem.

The engine power really is quite impressive on this machine, much more noticeable than a relative's 3320 Cab model. In addition, the faster blade tip speed of the 6' hog makes a difference in cut quality even at lower rpms as compared to the 5' unit on the family's 3320.
Hope this may be of use to someone.
Tim

/ Report on 3038E with 6' bushhog #2  
Thanks for the report..Im looking at his brother the 3032E and will be using a 5'ft brush hog, so I know that will work ok...which range on the hst are you using for the brushhogging?

/ Report on 3038E with 6' bushhog
I am using the low gear mostly because of the hilly terrain, though in flats with light grass I have used high gear. I'll bet you could use the high range easier than I could, since the heavy 6' hog on a light tractor like 30E series will bounce me around more than a 5' model would.

The 30E series machines have a couple of minor engine tuning advantages over the 3320/3520 units. Rated rpm at 2500 raises the operating torque, and the higher torque peak at 1680 or so rpm means the torque rise is potentially steeper under load. I have mowed some heavy grass with this 6' hog and it is hard to bog this tractor down in low range. I hope and expect you'll find the same with the 3032E and a 5' cutter. I'd like to hear what other 30E users have found.

/ Report on 3038E with 6' bushhog #4  
I have a 3032E, no bush hog for it yet, but I do run a Sitrex 90" 5 blade finish mower on it, I would say 90% of it's use is with this mower. It handles it just fine, even through 1-1.5' tall grass this spring, runs well in low.

dk8019
I was looking at the specs on that Sitrex, which has some heft at 90" wide. How much front end ballast do you need to balance it on your 3032E?
Tim

/ Report on 3038E with 6' bushhog #7  
Always leave the loader mounted on it just to keep it even. The Sitrex is big, but not really all that heavy I've found.

/ Report on 3038E with 6' bushhog #8  
[

What was the tachnometer doing when it failed ? I have a 3032E with about 40 hours and the tach has been operating irractically (sometimes it works and sometimes it does not)

I am sure it is the same tach as the 30038e

thanks

mud;2363429]Folks,
I bought a 3038E with RC2072 cutter last summer for my 100 acres and thought I would give report on my experience FWIW to those thinking of buying this tractor. The machine only has 40 hours on it, since bushhogging is all I use it for. I did have a warranty repair when the tachometer failed at about the 30 hr point, but the dealer got on that quickly. So far, this tractor has had no trouble whatsoever powering a 6 foot bushhog, and burns only 0.6- 0.7 gal per hour doing it.

I was concerned that the R4 tires might not have enough traction, but lowering the pressures to around 10 rear, 18 front has helped ride and wheel-spin considerably. I may lower them more in the rear. I have no wheel weights nor liquid fill, and usually don't need to put it in 4 wheel drive despite operating on hilly terrain.

A 6' hog is a bit big for this tractor but it maneuvers fairly well. I did have to get the front bracket extension with 8-70# weights in order to ballast adequately. I have found the RC2072 can cut small trees larger than its 1" rating if I move slowly over them. 2" trees have not been a problem.

The engine power really is quite impressive on this machine, much more noticeable than a relative's 3320 Cab model. In addition, the faster blade tip speed of the 6' hog makes a difference in cut quality even at lower rpms as compared to the 5' unit on the family's 3320.
Hope this may be of use to someone.
Tim[/QUOTE]

/ Report on 3038E with 6' bushhog #9  
I've got a 3038e running an old 5 foot King Kutter bushhog and it does great. I run over small trees and brush as high as the tractor on my fairly hilly fields and it never even slows the engine. I run in low range with the tach pegged at the 540 mark and get good results even out on tall orchard grass. It's not a finish mower, but it cuts pretty smooth. I do touch up the edge of the cutter blades each year with a hand-held grinder - being careful to keep them balanced.

I do get some traction issues with my 6 foot box blade. Going up a hill, when the box fills the tractor just won't pull it. I'm looking to trade my 6 foot BB for a 5 footer if I can. The tractor does fine on the flat. And, equipped with a Ratchet Rake, it tears out multiflora rose and other brush like a champ.

Got 60 hours on it now, with no issues at all.

When my tach failed it too began to act erratically. At first when I turned the machine off the tach needle would stay at 1000 or so and not drop to zero. Then other times when I turned the machine on the tach would never rise from zero. Apparently this is a fairly common problem on the new 3E series machines. I've had no problem since replacement. Have about 90 hours on machine now and I continue to be impressed with the PTO power

As to boxblading up hill I can't comment on the 3038e, but even my 75hp dozer can be easily overcome by an aggressive pass up hill, but of course can push twice the blade capacity going down. I remember when I had forty dump truck loads of dirt delivered to the place for a fill job I had to do, and what a joy it was to push enormous quantities of dirt downhill in one pass. The dump trucks couldn't come fast enough! Just the nature of working with gravity rather than against it. I wonder DKCDKC how your 6 footer does moving downhill?