How do you like your 62D drive over mower deck?

/ How do you like your 62D drive over mower deck? #1  

purpony

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2440/JD 3020/JD 314/JD 345/JD 850/JD 2320
I purchased my 2320 new in 2008. I also purchased a 60" woods (painted JD green) rear mount finishing mower. Loved the mower in the beginning for several reasons, shoots the cut grass out the back, not to the side, and its a quick and easy hookup. Things i dont like about it is, pain to store and its harder to mow around things since its sticking off the back.

I found a good deal on a barely used 62D drive over mid mount deck but need to pull the trig shortly if im going to buy it. I was wondering how everyone liked theirs and was also wondering, is it a pain in the butt to install? I use my tractor for everything so i am always taking the mower on and off.

I also was reading something about the 2320 and/or 2520 height adjustment knob now working correctly? is this a big problem? I like to leave my grass somewhat long.

thanks all!

/ How do you like your 62D drive over mower deck? #2  
I love my 62D for its ease of install and removal. The toughest part is the PTO shaft, as its tucked back pretty far and a bit off center.
being able to drive over the deck, attach the pins and front support, raise the lever and drive off is a snap. Coming from a 755 with a slide in install of the MMM makes this one so much easier.
I have found that the height control is not as precise as I would have hoped. I mow at 1 click down from lock, or 2 down, and if I go any more than that, it seems to lower the deck over an inch to the next click, which is just too short from my lawn. I also mow long and have found the highest setting to be the best. Its just too bad that its a waste of all the other dial settings.
I do wish I had the brackets for the iMatch, not that I have one but would be a nice place for chains when I move it around. I guess some have the brackets, others don't.

/ How do you like your 62D drive over mower deck? #3  
I agree with Jester. I really like the 62D. The hardest part of installing is the driveshaft, but after the first few times it's pretty easy. Why it doesn't have more upside adjustment is not clear, but it's OK in the upper positions. You have to make sure you have the lift arm links adjusted so it's right at the up-limit stop when in the locked position, otherwise you have no usable height setting.

I don't have the 3-pt brackets on mine, but I lift it with a strap around the front wheel supports and a the loader. I'm making a vertical stand for it for service and storage which will help a lot.

It's a real good match for the 2320 for mowing around trees, shrubs, etc. Some people have complained about the 2320 gearing for mowing but I don't have much slope and mow in high range all the time.

/ How do you like your 62D drive over mower deck? #4  
KennyG please post some photos of you vertical storage when you make it. I will be looking for ideas when my 2520 arrives.

/ How do you like your 62D drive over mower deck? #5  
I don't have exactly the same system as I use a JD 3520 and a 60D MMM. But the thing was copied from the 2#20 series. It works just fine. Driving over it just requires a bit of attention, no physical effort and generally clean hands at the end. The height setting works perfectly on this model. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun and a beautiful yard with your 62D.

/ How do you like your 62D drive over mower deck? #6  
KennyG please post some photos of you vertical storage when you make it. I will be looking for ideas when my 2520 arrives.

Here is commercially available option if can't or don't want to make your own: Mower Deck Axles,Carrera,Cayman,John Deere,Kubota

I have been using them for 5 or more years, he even has some of my pictures on his site. Very well made and a great guy to deal with.

/ How do you like your 62D drive over mower deck? #7  
Get it,you won't regret it.
The 62D is very user friendly. Once you get the hang of it,it is a snap to install/remove. I'm not familiar with the height deal with the 2320,but the 2520 uses the rockshaft position for height adjustment,and IMO,it's very simple.

Greg

/ How do you like your 62D drive over mower deck? #8  
I have a 2520, with the 62D and it is great. I also have an X495, also with a 62" deck. I have one @#**$ of a time with the deck on the 495. As a matter of fact, I usually get a friend of mine that works with tractors all the time to install it for me. Somehow he has the touch for hooking up the PTO shaft. Just reaches under and badda bing.....it's on. Me....forget it.

On the 62D I have no problems. I can't believe how much easier is is to install the deck. I just got my unit late last year, and shortly thereafter I took the deck and loader off, and installed my front blade. This spring I was kinda dreading having to switch it all back, but wow, the deck went on with no problem. The fact that the tractor has a higher ground clearance helps, but to me the main thing is that the PTO is offset a bit, and is much easier to reach. The collar on the stub shaft from the mower stays in the open position, until you get the connection, and then automatically snaps into the locked position.

Very simple operation, if I can do it, anyone can.

As far as the 3pth lift brackets on the mower, JD stopped including them sometime before last September. Mine came through without the brackets, and I was a little dissappointed, as I thought this was a nice feature, especially for cleaning and servicing the deck. Something about JD had done a survey and most respondents didn't feel the lift brackets were all that much of an advantage. (Thats what my dealer apparently found out from Deere) Me....I think there were some safety issues, and to avoid any future potential problems, JD decided it wasn't worth a potential law suit when a deck fell on somebody that didn't have the pins properly installed when lifting it with the 3pth.

REV

/ How do you like your 62D drive over mower deck? #9  
"KennyG please post some photos of you vertical storage when you make it. I will be looking for ideas when my 2520 arrives."

Here are some axle stands for my 62D I made from a couple of sizes of round stock and some Harbor Freight 8 inch wheels.

Attachments

• 100_0274 B.JPG
    100_0274 B.JPG
    356.6 KB · Views: 1,265
  • 100_0276 B.JPG
    100_0276 B.JPG
    381.8 KB · Views: 9,599
   / How do you like your 62D drive over mower deck? #10  
Kennyd thanks for the link, and runner for the pictures.
Looks like you remove the rear wheels and slide a small axle through and add wheels?. I am surprised that the rear wheel mounts are that strong to support the deck vertically.