john deere 5400

/ john deere 5400 #1  

captjack

Silver Member
Tractor
jd 5400
Hello all,
I m not a new here but I am new to the green team. I sold my pumpkin and purchased a jd 5400 to use for haying.

Does anyone on here have one and what can you tell me about it. Good - bad

Thanks

/ john deere 5400 #3  
I had a JD 5300 MFWD with FEL. Bought it used with 700 hours and sold it with about 3500 hours. Had to put new clutch in around 2500 hours. Was used by landscaper before I bought it so clutch may have been used more frequently. Fairly simple, straight foreward tractor. Reliability was good. It should make a good haying tractor.

/ john deere 5400 #4  
Good power for the size, easy on/off, very easy to use. We had one at college they used constently. It was abused - try teaching city girls to drive a tractor... Had 8000 plus hours last time I checked.

/ john deere 5400 #5  
I had one, it was a nice tractor and I also made hay with it. The only issue that I had was twice I had to replace a spring up under the dash. If I remember right it returned the clutch pedal.... or it had something to do with the left hand reverser. I replaced the speing myself very easy. Sorry about the details, I have C.R.S. disease real bad. If you have 3 rear remotes, FEL with some nifty rings and hooks on the bucket, and some yellow pinstriping, you might have my old tractor!