JD 4310 & BrushHog

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #1  

rpolcyn

We are buying a JD 4310 with 430 front end loader and other attachments. The dealer has convinced my son that using a MX6 rotary mower with the 4310 is fine as long as we leave the loader on. The JD charts do not recommend this combination. Has anyone had any experience with using the MX6 with the 4310?

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #2  
Yes
I would guess that the FEL suggestion is for weight to counter-balance the heavier weight of the MX6 (as opposed to the lighter weight rotary cutters-613). If heavy brush is what you are going to "rotary cut" thus the reason for wanting the heavier MX6, then what I do is leave the loader on just to push over some of the brush ahead of the tractor. It feeds under the tractor better than if pushing brush over with the 4310 front and front axle only. Otherwise, if you don't like the FEL on, then just get the weights to hang on the front end weight bar.

Your dealer is just trying to help you, IMO. He isn't gaining anything by saying you should run it with the FEL on, other than saying you will need something for counter-balancing weight up there. Or the dealer doesn't want you to run out there with big ideas about using the MX6 and then come whimping back to him saying it doesn't work, and he ends up with a used MX6 on his hands. That does happen with green-horns, I am told, and it is expensive for the dealer.

You can find out on your own as well. Just be fore-warned that the front end will be light. But then, maybe doing wheelies is your thing. Keep the individual brakes unlocked so you can steer the rig. Or keep the rotary cutter on the ground, which will allow you to steer with the front wheels. Kinda all what you prefer to do. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #3  
<font color=blue>...using a MX6 rotary mower with the 4310 is fine...</font color=blue>

I feel the MX5 would be a much better match up for the 4310 considering PTO hp wise... (not even looking at the hundreds of dollars cheaper it should be!)

I would leave the loader on during brush hogging for protection of the tractor's body and for front end weight either way... but the 6' unit will cut "grassy" materials in a level field with some front counter ballast as with the loader attached... but for real brush hogging and general all round use... stick with the 5'...

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #4  
<font color=blue>The dealer has convinced my son that using a MX6 rotary mower with the 4310 is fine as long as we leave the loader on. The JD charts do not recommend this combination.</font color=blue>

This is really pushing the limitations of the JD 4310.....think you may be making a mistake here. Go with the MX5. Also, JD performs many operational tests to determine capacity limitations of tractors and various attachments. That's what these charts are formulated upon. It might be prudent to heed to these chart recommendations and question more why this dealer is trying to sell you the MX6 rather than the more compatible MX5.

.....Bob

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #5  
I had a 4300 and used a 5' SQ60 bushhog (lighter duty) It was all it wanted in thick stuff. I now have a 4400 and it handles it alot better but I would go any bigger for the HP.

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #6  
A neighbor of mine has the 513 rotary cutter.....and that thing is bullet proof...one tough product......not really..................that may be stretching it a little.../w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #7  
I have used an MX5 on my 2wd 4300 (no FEL ) for a year. I had 4 suitcase weights on the front and it is still very light. Scary sometimes. I did also use a Hawse brand 6' cutter on horse pasture with no problems, but it is probably half the weight of the MX6. Personaly I would go with the LX6 on a 4300.

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #8  
<font color="blue">Personaly I would go with the LX6 on a 4300. </font>

You mean MX6 on the 4300? Why would you want to do this when you cite previously it was scary sometimes with the MX5 on the 4300? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the weight of the MX6... go with the LX6 on a 4300.)</font>

Hi Bob...

Maybe he thinks the "L" is light duty vs. the "M" medium duty... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

...and we know the x13 series is definitely NOT the way to go /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif... which is the "Very" light duty rotary cutter... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif (unless you're cutting strictly grassy material...)

/ JD 4310 & BrushHog #10  
The LX is a new cutter for Deere. 4', 5', and 6' models. Open round back design.

There's an ad for them in the JAN edition of "The Furrow", Deere's farm magazine.

DFB