John Deere 3020 quits running when hot

/ John Deere 3020 quits running when hot #1  

quickrick

Tractor
John Deere 3020
my 1970- 3020 gas, when running at high rpm under load, after about 45-60 min, will sputter and quit. cannot restart it, have to leave it sit about 2 hours before it will start and then the cycle repeats itself. I replaced the fuel filter thinking that was the problem "not". Antifreeze level is correct and raditor side screens are clean. The raditor cap dosn't seam to get real tight and will turn past the tight spot and go loose. I converted to electronic ignition so it can't be the coil. Im not sure what to do I don't think that the cap could be the problem since it's been that way long before this problem has started. It had some old gas from last fall but I put Sea Foam in the gas to preserve it and add new fresh gas before I started using this spring.

/ John Deere 3020 quits running when hot #2  
I think you were on the right track with a new fuel filter. It sounds like a lack of fuel flow. You might have some dirt in the fuel tank or fuel line restricting flow. You also could have a weak fuel pump. I assume you replaced an in-line filter. There should also be a screen/filter in the carburetor.