Mowing Mowing deck won't raise

/ Mowing deck won't raise #1  

Gravel7

Tractor
Deere 318
Hello,
I have a 318 that I'm installing a mower deck on for the first time. I was wondering if someone may be able to offer a little advice.
I have the manual for the deck and believe I have it attached correctly. The problem is that the deck is unresponsive, actually the lift arms won't move. I just took a 4 way plow off that worked fine. The left/right (controlled by the outer lever) was a bit sluggish. The mower deck runs off the inner lever, according to the manual. I'm figuring that I'm missing something small. Maybe a lockout valve or something?

Thanks for any help!

/ Mowing deck won't raise #2  
I just noticed this post. As I remember my mower deck is controlled by the outer lever. There is no control valve involved in the changeover or lock similar to the 2305. As I remember the cylinder for the mower deck is below and to the left of the seat.

/ Mowing deck won't raise #3  
Gravel7
:welcome:
On certain s/n 318's, there is a lockout valve that affects the hyd. cyl that raises and lowers the deck (according to jdparts). That valve should be open, but also should be explained in the manual.

/ Mowing deck won't raise
Thanks for the reply's!

Mred, your correct...it is the outer lever. I went into my local dealer to get some dust plugs for the hydraulic couplings in the front of the tractor. While I was there I explained the problem. Someone at the counter (not a service tech, but seemed very knowledgable) said it sounds like the hydaulic control valve. Based on that, I guess my next move is to remove the valve, dissassemble, clean it up and put back together. I should have asked if they have a rebuild kit or if I can just use O rings from my hardware store?

/ Mowing deck won't raise #5  

Attachments

• 318_lockout_valve.JPG
    318_lockout_valve.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 2,419
I have run my eyes up and down that tractor and paid extremely close attention to the rear cyclinder and can't find a valve anywhere. I found the 4 way plow on Craigslist and bought that this winter. So it is "new" to the 318. I don't believe my father would have had a reason to put a lock out on the tractor. The only items he ran on it were the mowing deck and the snow blower. The left/right movement on the blade was pretty slow. The up/down was quick. The left/right on the blade (outer lever) is on the same circuit as the rear cyclinder that won't respond. The fact that the left/right movement is sluggish must mean that something needs some attention..even if the rear cylinder was moving correctly.

Is the hydraulic control valve a reasonable culprit? I have not dealt with hydraulics but am excited to learn. Looks like a bit of a job (to me anway:laughing:) to get that valve out. Then re-fill the fluid and bleed the lines...:confused2:

Beenthere:
Thanks for the diagram! No such knob found.

/ Mowing deck won't raise #8  
Gravel7
The reason the blade angle was sluggish is because there was no lockout valve, and when you moved the lever the blade angle cyl couldn't move until the deck lift cyl ran to the end of its rod. If you work on the hydraulics, and intend to put the blade back on, you should consider adding the lockout valve (or lock down the deck lift cyl so it can't travel).
If me, I wouldn't tear into the hydraulic valve until exhausting all other possibilities. The valve apparently worked to angle the blade, so should still work on that deck cylinder. IMO