John Deere 2520 power

/ John Deere 2520 power #1  

GMCSierra

Tractor
John Deere 455
I am considering buying a John Deere 2520. The transmission has a high and low range (no mid range). I will be getting a 62D mid mount mower as well. My question is whether I can mow at a reasonable speed in high range ....or do I need to be in low range for the power when mowing. I have thick grass in my lawn. When test driving the tractor, low range wide open seemed s little too slow. Said another way- what range do you use for lawn mowing on a 2520- low or high? Is power an iasue at the mower deck?

/ John Deere 2520 power #2  
Hey GMC and welcome to TBN:)
what range do you use for lawn mowing on a 2520- low or high? Is power an iasue at the mower deck?

Always high range,and some of my land is sloped. Never had a lack of power,
even cutting 6 inch high grass that was absolutely waterlogged. The 62D has a very high blade speed.:thumbsup:

Greg

/ John Deere 2520 power #3  
Hey GMC and welcome to TBN:)

Always high range,and some of my land is sloped. Never had a lack of power,
even cutting 6 inch high grass that was absolutely waterlogged. The 62D has a very high blade speed.:thumbsup:

Greg

Same here and I have a JD2320

/ John Deere 2520 power #4  
I've been more than happy with the power and I have a very steep front yard. I use low for that because of the grade. High range for the rest, never feel like I lack power and I have mowed some high grass. The 2520 is a great machine that has not left me disappointed as of yet! If you feel you need more power you could go to the 2720. It will give you a few more HP under the hood and at the rear PTO other than that, it is the same chassis, tires and all. My dad has a 2720, I have some seat time on each.

/ John Deere 2520 power #5  
Funny, I just posted about this when backing up, I lose all kinds of power in Low range. I have even watched it lose power going forwards cutting fairly high grass, but nothing too terrible.

Maybe on flat ground you would be ok, but I don't see how you can stay in the seat unless the ground is super smooth.

Personally I like low range because I can keep the peddle mashed and not be going to fast in most areas.

/ John Deere 2520 power #6  
Brian,

When an HST sees an increased load and starts to slow, you need to ease up on the pedal instead of pushing down to go faster like a car. Is it possible that you are pushing harder on the pedal? It's counterintuitive but when you get the hang of it, it's easy.

/ John Deere 2520 power #7  
Actually I have let up almost to the point where I am not moving, while some power does come back, I am still about 500 RPMs shy from where the throttle is set.

I noticed that the big difference between the JD and my old Kubota is that on the flat, the 2520 will scream in reverse compared to my Kubota, but on my BX 24 the most RPMS I would ever lose was 200, which was easily compensated for with more throttle.

I am even starting to notice that it is seeming to struggle in forward going up steep grades and letting up on the throttle really doesn't seem to help.