Width of Landplane and How to Use It

/ Width of Landplane and How to Use It #1  

msmud

Silver Member
Based on reading the many helpful posts here on TBN, I've concluded a land plane might be best to maintain my gravel road, which is not real long (2000 feet long by 8 feet wide). I don't have potholes, nor large amounts of material to drag up from the bottoms of the hills. The tire track strips are about 3" lower than the grassy crown, and about 2" lower than the buildup on the edges. I have a 3038E and according to the Frontier catalog, the LP11 series requires minimum PTO HP below mine for the 6, 7, and 8 foot units.

So my question is really about how to use the thing--buy the 8 footer and drag it back and forth down the center, or one of the narrower units and run it along the sides? Seems to me the narrower units might allow maintaining a crown in the road if one runner ran along the crown and the other just off the road along the grassy edge, but I have no experience with this attachment. Appreciate any advice, as well as some idea as to what these these things cost.
Tim

/ Width of Landplane and How to Use It #2  
For your tractor I would recommend a 6' model and a top link cylinder. Being able to adjust the top link on the fly is very important, you can raise the rear of the implement slightly and this will aid you in reworking the crown.

The 6' model should be about right for your tractors weight and is narrow enough to allow you to run one skid just over the edge of the gravel and pull it back towards the middle. Not as effective as a rearblade but still helpful. Additionally the 6' would be less cost too, and allow some room in your budget for the hydaulic toplink.

/ Width of Landplane and How to Use It
Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think there is any advantage to getting a version of a landplane with scarifiers? The Frontier 7' and 8' versions require more power than my 3038E has, but LandPride has some smaller 5 and 6 foot units that would work. I realize you really can't fully replace one attachment with another, but having the ripper teeth of a boxblade in a landplane might allow use of the plane to break up harder soils than may be typical for it, even in situations outside of road grading.
Tim

/ Width of Landplane and How to Use It #4  
msmud,
I would recommend the rippers if it is in your budget. Having lived in Pike county I know how tough this ground can be, much harder to work than in the Southwest.

Steve, thanks for the answers.
Tim

Well, it's a year later and the thing is still on my list. I'm still using the dozer for road repair but with my PAT blade skills, I really need the land plane. I wish you'd post a review of your experience with it once you use it.
Tim