sprayer spreader advice

/ sprayer spreader advice #1  

hink10

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305
Hey guys,

I need advice in a sprayer or spreader, probably a sprayer. I only have about 3/4 of an acre of grass on a 1.5 acre property. I need to fertilize and lay week killer and would like to spray some trees. I've done some reading but can't decide what would be best. I want something as small as possible and don't need a huge boom. I generally put down a liquid weed killer and a time release fertilizer. With a sprayer, I could do both at once and use the wand to get in the tight areas and around the landscaping.

I just applied a granular time-release fertilizer, then it rained like crazy, now I have a striped yard where the fertilizer overlapped with the rotary spreader. Never happened before even with heavy rain, but we had a bunch several days in a row. Anyway, I hurt my back and can't manage to push a spreader right now. I want to even out the color, but not sure how, anyone have advice, it would be appreciated. I could probably lay down some more time release when the weather clears us, I don't think I would get any burning, most of what I put down before has probably washed away. If a spray fertilizer would work, I may do that to fill in the "week" areas but I guess that's beside the point.

What would you guys recommend for a good sprayer in a residential type setting. I have some woods, flat grass areas and some hills w/ grass in the back.

Thanks for any advice!

Steve

/ sprayer spreader advice #2  
i have a sprayer with a 3ft boom on it and a hand spray wand that i do 2.5acres---i bought it from tractor supply its a fimco brand wasnt that much $$ ive been using it for 3 years without problem.

/ sprayer spreader advice
Actually, I may be looking more for a small spreader, any recommendations on a small 3pt spreader?
Thanks,
Steve

/ sprayer spreader advice #4  
No need to buy a 3pt spreader for ¾ of an acre. One of the small pull behinds, or even a push spreader would work well.

/ sprayer spreader advice #5  
I have a Hardi ES 30 Estate Sprayer. It's a tow behind that holds 30 gallons. Has a 6 foot boom that folds upright when not needed or for storage. Also has a hand sprayer on a 25 foot hose. Runs off the tractor battery. Although it has its own separate on-off switches for both the boom and hand sprayer, I have a separate switch mounted on the tractor fender. That allows me to have the appropriate switch on the sprayer without getting off and on the tractor. It's a great little unit which I use for two acres. Minimal maintenance. I just drain it after each use and run plain water through it. In the winter, I drain it and run RV antifreeze through it. Visit Home - HARDI North America - Spraying with HARDI Sprayers and click on "Estate" sprayers.

For spreader, I use a Herd M96 which fits on the 3-point hitch and runs off the rear PTO. I've had it for 15 years and replaced two small parts. Seeders Kasco Manufacturing Co., Inc..

Hope this helps.

No need to buy a 3pt spreader for セ of an acre. One of the small pull behinds, or even a push spreader would work well.

Yeah, that's what I got to thinking, the 3pt spreaders are overkill for my needs. I was actually at Lowes tonight and saw a John Deere 130 lb. capacity pull behind spreader for $199. Looked pretty descent, but haven't done any research on it yet. My back doesn't do well pushing the spreader, besides, I need my wife to see me using the tractor... for everything! Still wouldn't mind a sprayer also, I've seen some good reviews for a pull behind at tractor supply, 25 gallons I think?
Steve

/ sprayer spreader advice #7  
Northern Tools also has tow behind sprayers with and without booms. I suggest you give a lot of consideration to the size of tank and it's weight before you buy one. A 25 gallon tank will weigh over 200# when full. And do you need 25 gallons of spray mix for what you're going to do? I downsized from 30 gallon to a 15 gallon tank for 2.5 acres, but I don't spray the whole place either.

/ sprayer spreader advice #8  
Yeah, that's what I got to thinking, the 3pt spreaders are overkill for my needs. I was actually at Lowes tonight and saw a John Deere 130 lb. capacity pull behind spreader for $199. Looked pretty descent, but haven't done any research on it yet.
Steve

Unless they have changed them in the last couple years, I would avoid that spreader. I would make sure you get with with a lever to turn on and off the flow of fertilizer. The ones with the cable are very week design.

Unless they have changed them in the last couple years, I would avoid that spreader. I would make sure you get with with a lever to turn on and off the flow of fertilizer. The ones with the cable are very week design.

Well, I went back and bought the only JD 130 lb. spreader they had, got a floor model discount and it was assembled. I'm going to take a better look, can always return. Thanks for the tip, I've used cable operated models and I know they can be a pain at times. I want to see how this one compares to pervious push modes I've owned. Still may do some looking to make sure I made a sound choice.
Steve

Well, I think I'm going to return that spreader, just can't reach the controls from the 2305. I saw some better models at the Deere dealer that were lever controlled rather than cable. A couple had the covers which is nice. I could always fabricate an extension arm for the handle if I need to. I have been reading and some don't suggest a pull behind spreader as the can bounce, therefore not applying evenly and or tip on slopes easily. Now I don't know what to do. I know a 3pt spreader may be overkill, but have seen many recommendations for the Herd M-96, I will be spreading about 200 lbs of fertilizer and probably some over seeding etc. What are your thoughts on the herd or other smaller 3pt spreaders vs pull behind? BTW, I saw a Herd M-96 on Craig's list nearby for $275, would cost about $50 in fuel to go get it. It's not a whole lot more than the Deere pull behind models (minus the fuel).
Steve