First Tractor (2040), Need Help

/ First Tractor (2040), Need Help #1  

curdy

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2040, JD LX188
Recently bought a '76 JD 2040 w/FEL. I am working on all my fluid changes. This is my first tractor, so I could really use some help knowing how to flush out the hydraulic fluid real well when I change it. I could see some milky oil leaking just a tad from the loader, so I'd like to get everything cleaned out real well. I know the tractor sat outside a lot, and also sat for decent periods of time between uses.

I have a new filter for it ready to go along with 5 gallons of some cheaper TSC hyd oil, and 10 gallons of the better ISO 46. I also have 10 gallons of diesel handy as well that I could use if its recommended. I'd like to tackle this today if possible, and I'm not comfortable doing it just from the info I've read on other threads since I've never worked on hydraulics before.

Thanks!

/ First Tractor (2040), Need Help #2  
I'm not sure I'm following you, but are you thinking of flushing the system with the cheaper TSC oil, then draining again and using the ISO 46?

Myself, I'd just let the system drain well, and replace with new filter and good oil. Likely there is no practical need to flush out the old. And don't think I would toss any diesel fuel in there either.

Will you be keeping the 2040 inside now? They are a good tractor and wish you well with your new tractor and seat time.

/ First Tractor (2040), Need Help
Yes, that's what I was thinking. I've read about some guys flushing their systems and getting good results. Some have flushed with cheaper oil and others have flushed with diesel. I know some machines depending on age don't do well with using diesel to flush. I figured it was best to ask to be sure. Yes, the tractor is now sleeping inside and will be for as long as I own it :thumbsup:

/ First Tractor (2040), Need Help #4  
Iso 46 or more correctly 46 AW is a hydraulic rated oil, you do not want the machine version. Not knowing your location 46 AW could be too thick and you and should be using 32 AW hydraulic oil.

/ First Tractor (2040), Need Help #6  
I would not use the ISO46 oil. It says it is not designed for transmissions or brakes. The 2040 hydraulic oil is also transmission fluid and the brakes run in the oil also. The 303 oil is ok, but I prefer using original equipment hydraulic fluids in tractors. This would be John Deere Hygard in your case. It is very important to get the water contamination out of the tractor. It is very bad for the brakes especially. It is difficult to get all of the oil out when you have a loader since all the hydraulic hoses and the cylinders all have the contaminated oil in them. You usually need to change the oil a couple of times to clean it out. If you want to save a few dollars, I would buy enough of the cheap 303 oil to change the oil twice. After each change, (change the filter each time also) run the tractor an hour or so while cycling the loader up and down multiple times and rolling the bucket in and out multiple times. Also raise the three point hitch up and down multiple times. After changing twice with the cheap oil, buy some John Deere Hygard for the final change along with another new filter. You should also remove the sump screen and clean it the first change. Be sure there is no brake material in the screen. If the water has broken down the brake lining, it peels off and clogs the screen. I am sure many people will post saying the cheap oil is OK, but in my opinion, this is how I would handle it.

/ First Tractor (2040), Need Help #7  
It is very important to get the water contamination out of the tractor. It is very bad for the brakes especially.

You should also remove the sump screen and clean it the first change. Be sure there is no brake material in the screen. If the water has broken down the brake lining, it peels off and clogs the screen.

This particular issue has been discussed here on TBN a few times... in part, with reference to the 40 series of tractors.

Take heed: as jd110 knows well of what he speaks!

AKfish

/ First Tractor (2040), Need Help #8  
I'll also agree with jd110 & AKfish cheap oil isn't really worth the purchase price savings. Hy-Gard only goes in my JD tractors.

On the moisture getting in trans, be sure and check for cracked trans shifter boots and plugged hyd filler cap breather hole.

/ First Tractor (2040), Need Help #9  
Ditto on checking, replacing the shifter boots. This is a primary entry point for water. Note to self: Check the 2030.

/ First Tractor (2040), Need Help
If I'm not using the transmission to drive around, do I have to fill up to the full level in order to flush the hydraulics?

I thought to check the boots as well, and they look fine. But to be sure, I'll double check.