Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member

Default Re: Reverse or forward rotation tiller?

Quote Originally Posted by MoKelly View Post
    I have heard that reverse is best when you are breaking new ground and forward is best once the ground has already been broke.

Don't know if its true but I have heard that theory.

MoKelly
    True.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scottrh View Post
    I have a JD 2520 and and a County Line from TSC (which is a KKII) 5ft reverse tiller. No problem on any dirt clay in North Carolina. Outstanding for the money, built like a tank, and the JD 2520 runs it it well.
    S.
    KKII is an excellent tiller and can take quite a bit of abuse. I like the gear drive and the price is right. I have a 6' and a 4' set down to 36" more or less.

I have a JD 647 tiller on my 2520. Works greats. I have broken out some really hard ground without any problems
    JD 2520
    200CX Loader
    647 Tiller
    RC 2048 Rotary Cutter
    30 year old JD 317 Garden Tractor
    Nothing LASTS Like a Deere!

Tractor
    JD 2720

Quote Originally Posted by MoKelly View Post
    I have heard that reverse is best when you are breaking new ground and forward is best once the ground has already been broke.

Don't know if its true but I have heard that theory.

MoKelly
    Mo is right, as long as their isn't many rocks or stumps. I have had both forward and reverse tillers and found the forward models till in mulch much better. The reverse is best at one pass tilling even in the hardest ground.
    HAVE FUN

Life is easier when you plow around the stumps.

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, Scag 19hp 48" Tiger Cub

Quote Originally Posted by kuboman
    I use the LP reverse rotation. It digs better and does a finer job of pulverizing the soil. My only dislike is it pushes a ridge of dirt out each front corners so it does not leave a flat finished job. Also if you have a lot of rocks it tends to beat itself up more because the rocks get thrown around inside before they are ejected. But as I said for the job itself, they are superior.
    LP 50" Reverse here. Glad to know I wasn't the only one with the "unfinished" look. Thing works SO WELL though that I almost hate to use it. The soil is so fluffy it is like walking on a mattress. As far as rocks, I found out last year that a rock 2-3 times as big as a football was enough to kill the tractor! Stopped everything, nothing was broken though. Great tiller.
    John Deere 2305
    ----200cx FEL, 50" LandPride RTR tiller, 5' RB, 4' Howse BB
    Scag 19hp 48" Tiger Cub
    5'x10' Dump Trailer, 6'x16' open deck trailer, 5'x10' mower trailer

I post via the Tractorbynet.com app

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 3520 Cab, Deere F935

If I woulda bought a new one, I was seriously looking at a Reverse Rotation unit for all the pro's listed here...but then factoring in the excellent reputation and price of the "Normal Rotation" KKII tiller, I found myself asking myself if it was worth 1k plus bucks for a different rotation...If KK offered a Reverse rotation machine at the same price as their normal one, I woulda gotten one in a heartbeat.
    The decision was made for me when I found a "Mechanically like new" Sovema 72" tiller at a price I couldnt pass up.
    All in all, It is what it is, cant say I'm looking to trade up to a Reverse rotation unit...but when I was doing some "virgin ground" tilling, you could certianly see the difference between reverse rotation and normal rotation operation (tilling in reverse) but in the garden I cant say I notice a drastic difference.

I guess I'd reccomend if your planning on busting alot of virgin ground, go with the reverse rotation. If yearly garden maintenance is your intended use, I'd probably save yourself a few bucks and go with a normal tiller so to speak.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12