Reverse or forward rotation tiller?

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller? #1  

Mercmaniac

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520 & John Deere 445
Looking to get a tiller for 2520. Hope to get some pros/cons for the 2. Thanks, Eric

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller? #2  
One will push you along, the other will pull you back.

What models of each are you considering for the 2520?

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller? #3  
I used to have a 17" Craftsman rear tine walk behind but self propelled tiller with the reverse rotation. It worked well. Then I had a Bush Hog brand tiller for the tractor with forward rotation. As has already been said, one will push you forward while the other will hold you back. Either one does a good job. My preference is the forward rotation because I figure if I hit a big root, or bricks (which I did once), the forward rotating tines will hit it on the downstroke, causing the tiller to jump up in the air and go on over. But with the reverse rotation, I'm afraid if it hits an immovable object on the upstroke, it just might break some tines, or hopefully just a shear pin. Of course some have a slip clutch that I never had or wanted so that night prevent damage.

So I reckon it boils down to personal preference. Either one is good.

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller? #4  
I have reverse direction Land Pride. It is in a word, fantastic. I would highly recommend this to anyone with no reservations.

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller? #5  
I have heard that reverse is best when you are breaking new ground and forward is best once the ground has already been broke.

Don't know if its true but I have heard that theory.

MoKelly

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller? #6  
I just bought a landpride rta1566 forward rotation tiller. It works great and everything I have tilled is new ground. My troy-bilt walk behind is reverse rotation and it works fine too. I think a bigger concern should be weight and quality of tiller than tine rotation. JMO

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller? #7  
I have a JD 2520 and and a County Line from TSC (which is a KKII) 5ft reverse tiller. No problem on any dirt clay in North Carolina. Outstanding for the money, built like a tank, and the JD 2520 runs it it well.
S.

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller? #8  
I use the LP reverse rotation. It digs better and does a finer job of pulverizing the soil. My only dislike is it pushes a ridge of dirt out each front corners so it does not leave a flat finished job. Also if you have a lot of rocks it tends to beat itself up more because the rocks get thrown around inside before they are ejected. But as I said for the job itself, they are superior.:thumbsup:

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller? #9  
I just bought a landpride rta1566 forward rotation tiller. It works great and everything I have tilled is new ground. My troy-bilt walk behind is reverse rotation and it works fine too. I think a bigger concern should be weight and quality of tiller than tine rotation. JMO

I have the LP RTA2072 forward rotation 6' tiller, which works great in my sandy loam soil. I agree the weight and quality should be of more concern than the rotation. My dealer recommended the forward rotation as there is less chance of something coming at the operator and less chance of damage if you hit something.

/ Reverse or forward rotation tiller?
Thanks for all of your replies. I am leaning towards the JD 655.