Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2007 Kubota BX24

Default 2720 Oil Question - How dirty is your oil?

I just checked the oil on my tractor after 11 hours (and even before I ran it), but it still look super clean. I expected it to be black by now, maybe I was expecting too much.

Anyone else with still low hours on it and still have super clean oil?

I know diesels run cleaner, but I expected it to at least look dirty by now.
    Brian

2008 2500HD CC SB Duramax 6.6L
    2005 Suzuki Eiger
    2009 Rubicon 4-wheeler
    2011 John Deere 2520, FEL, and 62D belly mower, 6 foot box blade, 6 foot rear blade, a set of pallet forks, a 5 foot brush hog.

Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; Ford Ferguson 9N: JD X300R

Default Re: 2720 Oil Question - How dirty is your oil?

How dirty does the oil in your Dmax get after 200 miles? About the same as 11 hours with your 2720....

It shouldn't get real, real black even after normal run-time of 200 hours - unless you're rototilling or pulling a disc harrow the entire time!

After your 50 hour break-in the oil color should look about like your Dmax oil @ 750 miles.

AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Quote Originally Posted by megaboz View Post
    I just checked the oil on my tractor after 11 hours (and even before I ran it), but it still look super clean. I expected it to be black by now, maybe I was expecting too much.

Anyone else with still low hours on it and still have super clean oil?

I know diesels run cleaner, but I expected it to at least look dirty by now.
    When my 4210 was new, I remember the oil was still very clean after the first 25 operating hours, but I changed it and the filter anyhow. Every new engine (aside from 2 strokes) I have owned has been given an early oil and filter change. I do that because I have felt it's better to do an early oil change rather than let the crud in a new engine stay in until it's time for the first scheduled change.

When I posted my experience (early change) a number of TBN members informed me I should have waited longer for the first change, because Deere had filled the engine with "break in oil" at the factory. Not sure if that was true or not, but after nearly 900 hours, my oil consumption is zero.
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
    When I posted my experience (early change) a number of TBN members informed me I should have waited longer for the first change, because Deere had filled the engine with "break in oil" at the factory. Not sure if that was true or not, but after nearly 900 hours, my oil consumption is zero.
    It's a fact.. JD fills the crankcase with "break-in" oil and they strongly recommend that you keep the oil in the engine for the recommended hours to ensure that your tractor does not burn oil later after the break-in period.

Check this out:
    Frontier Power Products - Deere Break-In Oil

AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2007 Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by AKfish View Post
    How dirty does the oil in your Dmax get after 200 miles? About the same as 11 hours with your 2720....

It shouldn't get real, real black even after normal run-time of 200 hours - unless you're rototilling or pulling a disc harrow the entire time!

After your 50 hour break-in the oil color should look about like your Dmax oil @ 750 miles.

AKfish
    My Dmax was black as black at 250 mile. My kubota was black at 10 hours. That is the reason for my question. I was concerned that the oil pump wasn't pumping.

Thanks for the replies.
    Brian

2008 2500HD CC SB Duramax 6.6L
    2005 Suzuki Eiger
    2009 Rubicon 4-wheeler
    2011 John Deere 2520, FEL, and 62D belly mower, 6 foot box blade, 6 foot rear blade, a set of pallet forks, a 5 foot brush hog.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by megaboz View Post
    My Dmax was black as black at 250 mile. My kubota was black at 10 hours. That is the reason for my question. I was concerned that the oil pump wasn't pumping.

Thanks for the replies.
    If your oil pump wasn't working, and the red oil pressure lite on your dash wasn't working either, you would have a seized engine after the first minute of operation, or sooner.
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by AKfish View Post
    It's a fact.. JD fills the crankcase with "break-in" oil and they strongly recommend that you keep the oil in the engine for the recommended hours to ensure that your tractor does not burn oil later after the break-in period.

Check this out:
    Frontier Power Products - Deere Break-In Oil

AKfish
    Thanks for info, neither my salesguy (who I had real trust in) nor the manual that came with my new tractor said anything about this issue. When I was at the dealership shortly after my original purchase to pick up hydro fluid and filters for the fluid and filter change recommended at the break in interval, I mentioned that I was going to service the oil and filter early also.

HE NEVER SAID A WORD OTHERWISE, although he DID say he was pleased I was going by the book for the initial hydro fluid and filter change. That was recommended at 50 hours, along with the initial oil and filter change. Seeems to me if Deere felt so strongly about leaving the break in oil in the engine UNTIL 50 hours, they should have specified so in the owners manual.

I just checked my records, initial oil change was at 31 operating hours and not 50. I did notice at the time that the OEM oil filter was about 25% larger in size than the one purchased over the counter at the dealership.

It's not the best pic,but this is all the darker (dirty) my oil has been.When I changed it out at 50 hour it was no different than this. There is 28 hours on this oil.
    I didn't put break-in back in either.Was told (dealer) that 50 hours is enough. There are links telling you that it should go to 100,and there are links telling you it's not necessary.
    Oh well,too late for me to change back now anyway.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_1313-jpg  
    2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade
    A "REAL" snow blade --- JD 380A
    90% Restored 1987 JD 316

MY BALLAST BOX:
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...box-build.html
    MY SE SEAT 2520 MOD:
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...my-2520-a.html

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by glc24 View Post
    It's not the best pic,but this is all the darker (dirty) my oil has been.When I changed it out at 50 hour it was no different than this. There is 28 hours on this oil.
    I didn't put break-in back in either.Was told (dealer) that 50 hours is enough. There are links telling you that it should go to 100,and there are links telling you it's not necessary.

Greg
    Never would have thought about trying to show a pic that way...smart of you. My JD, I changed the oil and filter in the fall at 790 hours, it just turned to 842 and that pic of yours is about the color my oil is after 52 running hours.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by glc24 View Post

Greg
    Much depends upon the model of tractor you have. 50, 100; my new 5075M is 300 hours on the break-in oil!

Older manuals may not have the correct info. If necessary, you can view the latest owner's manual version for your tractor on-line @

JohnDeere Products & Services

AKfish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast