Hooking hydraulic logsplitter to JD955

/ Hooking hydraulic logsplitter to JD955 #1  

Molerj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 955, 1978 Economy Power King, JD X500
Ok, I finally got all the hoses & fittings that I needed to hook up the hydraulic logsplitter that I borrowed from my neighbor to my JD 955. I don't have rear remotes so I traced the two lines that come from the curl cylinder. I hooked the in from logsplitter to the quick connect that went to the top of the curl cylinder. I hooked the out from logsplitter to the line that went to the bottom of cylinder. I tied the handle of the logsplitter in the forward direction, then used the joystick & pushed it to the side. The ram moved forward. I let go of joystick & moved the logsplitter handle in the other position (it locks until the ram gets back--detent?) Pushed the joystick to the side again & it continued forward. Now I couldn't mess around too much because the line to the quick connect was leaking pretty good. I had the wrong size o-ring on the fitting. Got the right size on my way to work this aft. but won't be able to try it until tomorrow. Do I have to move the joysick in the other direction when I want the ram to return? That doesn't seem right but as I would think with the joystick in one position the flow of fluid is going to the splitter & is controlled by the logsplitter valve. Then again I could be all screwed up. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I was hoping that I would be able to tie the joystick in one direction & use the logsplitter valve to run the ram both ways. I think I remember someone else here using this set-up earlier. Get me on the right track. I know one thing, if I had to buy all the fittings & hoses I would be better off getting my own splitter. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Hooking hydraulic logsplitter to JD955 #2  
Please, I suggest you go back and read the 3pt log splitter thread where you were asking questions and where others were discussing tying back the joystick. There may be a solution for you there. Appears the same subject was covered.
Just trying to help, not being critical of your trials and errors.

Can your neighbor help?

/ Hooking hydraulic logsplitter to JD955
Nevermind, I'll do so more research. If I don't come up with a solution, I'll buy a gas job. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif & as for my neigbor, no he can't. Thanks

/ Hooking hydraulic logsplitter to JD955 #4  
U should tie the FEL handle over to supply flow to the splitter,
U need to make sure that the supply line is one that has
supply from FEL valve if not tie handle the other way.
Then use splitter valve to run it.
The speed may be slower than normal since u are running
off of small lines and the FEL valve.

/ Hooking hydraulic logsplitter to JD955
Works like a charm! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Take a look.

Attachments

• 234292-Dscn0683.jpg
    234292-Dscn0683.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 375
   / Hooking hydraulic logsplitter to JD955 #6  
Very nice! It's time to add "log splitter" to the attachment section of your TBN profile.

OkieG