2520 & 200CX Loader Capability - Real World Test

/ 2520 & 200CX Loader Capability - Real World Test #1  

larry8818

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520
Hello.

I thought I'd share with those that are interested what I found to be the maximum lift capacity of my 2520 in a real world test.

Equipment:
'06 2520 with 200CX Loader (355 hours)
Frontier 48" AL1240F fixed pallet forks (3750lb lift...395lbs): http://www.deere.com/en_US/ag/media/pdf/frontier/tillage/bale_spears.pdf
JD ballast box (dealer filled)

Lifting a Airflow 1.7cu. yd. S.S. spreader:
For weight of the speader, the below link says 750lbs.
Air-Flo: The Leader in Manufacturing Quality Truck Equipment: PICK-UP SPREADER
I had the straps, an optional tarp & a piece of 1/2" ext. plywood stacked on too.
I say it's lifting +/- 1160lbs between the forks & the speader.

You will see in the 4th photo, the tractor was able to lift this thing about 1" up off metal sawhorses with 2x4's on top of the horses, and the horses were sitting on 2x4's on the ground as well. I never measured the height of the saw horses, but would guess they are at least 25" tall + 3" for the 2x4's + the 1" it lifted....I'd say the tractor is lifting 1160lbs 29" off of the ground until the hydraulics stalled..
This lift felt very heavy on the front end (especially traveling across the driveway), but not at all front heavy like it wanted to tip frontwards with the cement filled ballast box on the 3pt hitch for weight. If I were moving things like this all the time this tractor is way too small. For the one time I've moved it, it's been great to have the ability even thought it is really pushing the 2520 to it's max lift height in this real world test.
I know I could get more lift capacity if I went with less heavy duty forks, but my property is mostly clear and one of my larger chores is limbing trees every year. I wanted the 48" fork length to be able to gather more limbs that I can take & bring out to the fire pit. You can never have the perfect tractor...this machine was purchased with mowing grass as it's #1 priority (72" MMM), but it really hasn't let me down in too many areas. I love this little tractor:thumbsup:

Now, how this speader got at my house in the first place is because my business partner used his 4520 and lifted it from the top off of his GMC3500 flat bed and we set it by my garage. I really wanted it away from my house in the summer so I moved it to the corner of my lot with the 2520...just barely.

Question guys - knowing a 2520 could barely lift this to this height from underneath and a 4520 lifted this off of a flatbed with no problem from the top with straps, could a 3520 lift this from the top too with straps like the 4520:confused:? I'm just curious as to what your opinions are...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 1,308
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 968
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 998
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 905
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 710
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 873
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 730
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 549
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 1,115
   / 2520 & 200CX Loader Capability - Real World Test #2  
That is one tough little tractor. Your signature says that it has R4 tires but from your pictures posted, those look like R3s to me. ;)

/ 2520 & 200CX Loader Capability - Real World Test
Thanks Johndeere3720...your right on the tires being R3's & you finally gave me the motivation to figure out how to change my signature on here to fix it.

/ 2520 & 200CX Loader Capability - Real World Test #4  
Hey, I need to know more about that rear attachment. Rear PTO sweeper?

/ 2520 & 200CX Loader Capability - Real World Test #5  
Hi Larry,

That is a very interesting posting. I really appreciate folks who make themselves aware of the factors involved with the work they are doing with their machines.

One thing I wanted to point out is that due to the size of that spreader, its center of gravity is quite far out on the forks. What you have discovered is how much weight your loader can lift to that height at a given distance away from the loader pivot pins. If you had a dense and compact equivalent load that could be kept closer to the pivot pins, you may have been able to lift it to a higher height or lift a larger load to the same height.

Anyway, since I am a new 2520 owner, I am glad you took the time to share your observations.

/ 2520 & 200CX Loader Capability - Real World Test #6  
Hello.
I say it's lifting +/- 1160lbs between the forks & the speader.

Question guys - knowing a 2520 could barely lift this to this height from underneath and a 4520 lifted this off of a flatbed with no problem from the top with straps, could a 3520 lift this from the top too with straps like the 4520:confused:? I'm just curious as to what your opinions are...

Based on my experience to date I'd say a 3520 with 300CX FEL would not have a problem lifting 1160 lbs from above.

/ 2520 & 200CX Loader Capability - Real World Test
XSKIER
That reat attachment is not a rear PTO sweeper.
It is a John Deere Hydraulic Dump MCS with power pack engine.
...the short version is it is a bagger that you don't have to leave the seat of the tractor ot empty:D

I did a write up on that in 2006, and you can view how that thing operates here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-buying-pricing/87586-my-new-2520-hydraulic-dump.html

CinderSchnauzer
Thanks for your reply. For what I do, a 4520 is not what I call a "lawnmower" and for what I need a tractor for (mowing grass #1 priority) it's just way too big and no mid PTO. When I purchased my 2520, I did also price out a 3520. At the time the 3520 with 300CX was like $7k more. The price was not really a deal breaker, especially when you view the investment over a 15-20 year time. It really came down to size for me. I was coming from a JD 430 with a 60" MMM and wanted to mow 5 clear acres faster (2520 is the smallest JD that you can fit a 72" MMM) and make leaf season enjoyable (Hyd. Dump MCS). I always wondered if I would want to kick myself later on for not going with the 3520. I chose to go witht the 2520 based on the size. When you sit on a 3520 compared to a 2520 there is a world of difference. The 3520 feels like a tractor, while my 2520 still seems like...to me, a lawnmower. Coming from the 430 even the 2520 did seem alot bigger at first, but after 2 hours on the machine cutting, i was amazed at the manuverability of the 2520. At the end of the day, the little bugger hasn't let me down over it's 355 hour life. I guess I am envious of 3000 series owners. They are great machines and like 2520 owners, no one that owns one really comlains about them. I see that there is no perfect tractor to suit all needs all of the time....