Frontier Box Blade BB2060

/ Frontier Box Blade BB2060 #1  

Mechanos

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 955/70A/7 TLB
How do these BB's stack up against other brands? What should a used unit in good shape be selling for?

/ Frontier Box Blade BB2060 #3  
I would say Frontier and Woods are the two best as far as quality and construction. Personally,I went with Woods because I just couldn't pass on the price.

Greg

/ Frontier Box Blade BB2060
The BB2060 looks to me to be almost identical to a Howse, but it looks a little heavier duty than the Howse 5' BB I see online. All of the Howse I've seen have straight side panels where the Frontier has a flange bent on the top of the side panels. Also, all of the pictures of Howse I've see have single-shear pins for the lower 3pt arms where the BB2060 has double-shear pins.

Any idea what a BB2060 goes for new?

Howse:
BB60.jpg

Frontier:
BB2060.jpg

Last edited:
   / Frontier Box Blade BB2060 #5  
The Howse BB60 is supposed to be their heavy duty 5' unit, yet it is 114# lighter than the Bush Hog MBX60. I am not aware of a widely available 5' box blade that is heavier. If weight is one of the key characteristics of a good boxblade, then the MBX would seem to ***** the Howse, Frontier BB1360 or BB2060. I'd be very interested to hear any user reports on it.

I went ahead a bought a Frontier BB2060 tonight after work. I found one locally and aside from a few stracthes from being moved around and stored in a barn, I don't think it's ever been used. The rippers didn't even look like they've ever been in the dirt. I couldn't pass it up for the price.

The serial no. starts out with WDxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. I read somewhere that if the serial no. contains WD, that means that it was made by Woods. Don't know if that's true or not.

Anyway, after changing clothes, I fired up the 955 and used the FEL to unload the BB out of my truck. After unhooking the carry-all stacked with sand bags (make-shift ballast), I hitched up the BB and took it out in the pasture to get it dirty. I did exactly what I expected it to do... stop the tractor dead in it's tracks as soon as the ripper sank into the Kentucky 31 sod. :laughing: Not surprising considering I currently do not have the front driveshaft installed and the air-filled rear R1's are practically bald.

I certainly hope and expect better results once I get the front spindle shaft seals changed and the front d-shaft reinstalled. I also have a pair of R4's & wheels with a decent amount of tread left on them. One of them has a gash on the outer sidewall, but still holds air. I'm taking it to the tire shop tomorrow to see if they can repair it (they do vulcanization). If it's repairable, I'm going to have the R4's loaded with RimGaurd and run those until I get a new pair of R1's.

/ Frontier Box Blade BB2060 #7  
My guess is that the Frontier BB is a Woods, just as their chippers are Wallenstein. It seems that I have heard that more than once here too, and the Frontier, and Woods box blades sure look the same.

You will also see a huge difference in how much power / weight it takes to pull your BB depending on if it is tipped forward, or back by the top link. With the top link extended, only the scarifers will be really in the ground, and it will pull a lot easier since it will be riding more on the rear blade, and smoothing more than digging. Sometimes just a little change in that length makes a lot of difference, and that is why I'm planning on getting a hydraulic top link for mine. I would like a top, and tilt, but I'm not sure I can do that with my tractor. I apologize if you have a lot of experience with a BB, and knew all this.

Yes, all of that is true. But I'm pretty sure my air-filled bald R1's and only 2WD is a huge factor. :laughing:

/ Frontier Box Blade BB2060 #9  
I have had a 2060 for almost 4 years now and I have nothing bad to say about it. I have used it for pretty much everything and it is darn near indestructible. The only thing I would like is hydraulic rippers, but for a basic box blade it sure is a quality piece of equipment.

I have had a 2060 for almost 4 years now and I have nothing bad to say about it. I have used it for pretty much everything and it is darn near indestructible. The only thing I would like is hydraulic rippers, but for a basic box blade it sure is a quality piece of equipment.

What are you pulling it with?