Fixing up '76 2040. First tractor, have questions.

/ Fixing up '76 2040. First tractor, have questions. #1  

curdy

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2040, JD LX188
This is my first tractor and its been nice having on our new farm so far. I've enjoyed getting to work on it as well. So far I've replaced a leaking fuel line, replaced the seat (or what was left of it I should say), scraped off about 1/2 of the dirt and sludge so far.

Discovered the main fluid leak on the right hand platform was a cracked steering cover. Part is on order and I picked up a gasket over the weekend. Someone mentioned that this cover will crack because of something not right in the steering column. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I'd hate to go through replacing the plate just to have it break again because I didn't solve the real problem.

Once the cover is replaced, I plan on changing the fluids and filters, then addressing any other leaks I can find.

Thanks in advance for any help with this project!

Attachments

• IMG_4606.jpg
    IMG_4606.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
   / Fixing up '76 2040. First tractor, have questions. #2  
From the looks of the cover, it was broken when tightening down the 6 or 7 bolts.
But it may be something under the cover pushing out (that you can decipher when replacing).
The cast won't take much bending from unequal bolt pressure (just a thought).

Appears to be more than just a cover, but holds the bushing and the end of the steering arm.
Maybe something to how it works, and a chat with a Deere mechanic may bring up some pointers.

Attachments

• 2040_steering.JPG
    2040_steering.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 271
   / Fixing up '76 2040. First tractor, have questions.
From the looks of the cover, it was broken when tightening down the 6 or 7 bolts.
But it may be something under the cover pushing out (that you can decipher when replacing).
The cast won't take much bending from unequal bolt pressure (just a thought).

Appears to be more than just a cover, but holds the bushing and the end of the steering arm.
Maybe something to how it works, and a chat with a Deere mechanic may bring up some pointers.

That's what I figured when I first saw it too (that someone didn't tighten evenly, or over did it on some). Then someone mentioned something inside causing damage. I'll take pictures when I remove it.

/ Fixing up '76 2040. First tractor, have questions. #4  
Maybe you can remove the whole steering gear and have it gone through. It's likely that there is some serious slop in there. There are a variety of builders that solicit our company wanting to do ours on trucks. Not sure if they would do yours but may be worth a shot. Followed your other thread. Think you did good.

Maybe you can remove the whole steering gear and have it gone through. It's likely that there is some serious slop in there. There are a variety of builders that solicit our company wanting to do ours on trucks. Not sure if they would do yours but may be worth a shot. Followed your other thread. Think you did good.

Thanks, I feel that its been a good deal so far.

Can you let me know the names of some of those guys that have offered their services? I'd be interested in speaking with them to see if its worth having work done now or later.

Draining hyd fluid and have the cracked steering cover off. Hyd fluid is very milky. Fluid coming out from under the steering cover has a lot of water in it that is separated from the already milky fluid. Put my hand in and there's a pool of water in a low area in there. Is there a drain for it? There's also sludge and metal shavings.

Also, I can't budge the screen plug next to the hyd filter. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Fixing up '76 2040. First tractor, have questions. #7  
Draining hyd fluid and have the cracked steering cover off. Hyd fluid is very milky. Fluid coming out from under the steering cover has a lot of water in it that is separated from the already milky fluid. Put my hand in and there's a pool of water in a low area in there. Is there a drain for it? There's also sludge and metal shavings.

Also, I can't budge the screen plug next to the hyd filter. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
You just might have your answer to the cracked cover. If that cavity behind the cover was full of water when you had freezing temperatures, the expanding ice might have broken it. There shold be a plug below that cover on the side of the clutch housing that will drain that cavity.
On the screen plug, take a flat faced hammer and smack the plug a good strong whack or two and the plug should come out easily. Be sure to inspect the screen for brake facing material. Water in the oil causes the lining to separate from the disk and fall off. It ends up clogging the screen.

You just might have your answer to the cracked cover. If that cavity behind the cover was full of water when you had freezing temperatures, the expanding ice might have broken it. There shold be a plug below that cover on the side of the clutch housing that will drain that cavity.
On the screen plug, take a flat faced hammer and smack the plug a good strong whack or two and the plug should come out easily. Be sure to inspect the screen for brake facing material. Water in the oil causes the lining to separate from the disk and fall off. It ends up clogging the screen.

I was thinking something along the same line as to the reason the cover cracked. Are there any other plugs and/or drains I can open up to get the nasty old fluid out? Should I drain the brakes and all the lines. What a mess

Couldn't find a drain anywhere for the area under the steering cover. I got it out by hand the best I could then wiped it out with newspaper. Pic is before I cleaned it. Its yellow on top, but very gray under the top layer. Doesn't look too bad now that its cleaned out.

There's some play in the steering wheel and when I move it, there is some orbital type movement in the cylindrical piece. There doesn't seem to be any play in it as is...only when I move the wheel. I'm concerned this may crack the replacement cover.

No idea if how I'm describing this makes sense, so if there's any clarification needed, just let me know!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4616.jpg
    IMG_4616.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_4617.jpg
    IMG_4617.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 276
  • Steering arm and drag link parts list.bmp
    496.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
   / Fixing up '76 2040. First tractor, have questions. #10  
The boss just below the cover is where the drain plug for that cavity is on my 2030. Looks like they they stopped putting a drain plug in with the 40 series.

On my 2030 I found the most steering slop was from the bellcrank the draglink and tie rods connect to. I could see no easy way to fix it so I live with the slop.

Ditto on ice causing the break. I do not think overtightening it would do it.