Oil & Fuel 3038E - Hydraulic Filter change

/ 3038E - Hydraulic Filter change #1  

StoneOK

Tractor
JD 3038E
A similar thread was posted in Buying & Pricing forum, but I thought I should post in the owning/operating. Sorry, if i should have continued with that same thread.

Anyway, I purchased a JD 3038E in Dec '08 (my first EVER tractor). I currently have less than 100 hours on it, but I've recently been experiencing reduced lifting capacity. I have to dig my loader in less than half way into a dirt pile or it just stops and won't lift. My 3pt hitch is either all the way up or all the way down. I can no longer "tether" my brush hog when cutting (I used to drive with it on the "8-9" setting and cut at say the "2-3" setting, but now "9" is all the way up and "7-8" is on the ground).

I went to the local dealer to talk to them about by problem, and they said that I may have pump issues, or a valve bypassing fluid and dumping it straight back into the "sump". They pulled up my info and said that since I've had it for more than two years that the corresponding warranty had expired and that the repairs could cost up to $5K.

Needless to say I was very frustrated since I have less than 100 hrs on this unit (where is the JD quality?).

I have a friend who has owned JD tractors for quite awhile, and he knows a JD Dealer in Iowa. This dealer mentioned that he's seen this similar problem with 3038E tractors at his dealership and has repaired several pumps. This dealer sent me printouts that mention known issues with the loader and rockshaft hydraulics; which I took my local dealer and asked what they could do about the problem. My local dealer said that he recommends changing the hydraulic "suction" filter first and seeing if this corrects the problem.

I purchased a filter and was able to change it. However, (I'm sure you know where I'm going with this) I had no hydraulics when I started the tractor. I felt that maybe I need to fill the filter with fluid before putting it back on, but it empties every time. Why would they put a filter sideways if it needs to be full when you put it on?

Long story short...my problem at hand is how do I either bleed the air out of the system or keep the filter full when installing it?

Thanks for any help you can give.

/ 3038E - Hydraulic Filter change
I guess I exceeded the knowledge of the forum group...63 views and 0 replies.

I was able to run the engine for awhile longer and pressure finally built back up, but changing the filter did not cure my TPH problem.

I'll carry on with my own investigations and if I find anything out I might post it for someone else to find 9that might have the same issue).

Thanks.

/ 3038E - Hydraulic Filter change #3  
That's the first I've heard of any problems with that model. Maybe that's why there is no responses yet. Im working on a deal for that same tractor...so keep us informed

/ 3038E - Hydraulic Filter change #4  
I guess I exceeded the knowledge of the forum group...63 views and 0 replies.

I was able to run the engine for awhile longer and pressure finally built back up, but changing the filter did not cure my TPH problem.

I'll carry on with my own investigations and if I find anything out I might post it for someone else to find 9that might have the same issue).

Thanks.

I have heard if you move the steering wheel back and forth it helps purge the airlock. But then again I might have dream t that.:laughing:

/ 3038E - Hydraulic Filter change #5  
Don't feel bad about the lack of replies. It seems there're few owners and little 1st hand knowledge about 3038e (you) and 3032e (me). I like to think that they have so few problems that questions just don't need to be ask. I'm happy with mine, 8 months and 70 hours later. Good luck.
Steve

/ 3038E - Hydraulic Filter change #6  
Kuboman, you didn't dream about using the power steering to purge the air.

In the 3320 tech manual, the stated procedure for purging air from the hydraulics after the tranny has been worked on is to jack the front wheels off the ground so there is no weight on them. Then SLOWLY turn to full lock left and then right about 4-6 times.

/ 3038E - Hydraulic Filter change #7  
There should be a rod connected to the three point lift arm at pin #13 in diagram. Make sure it is connected there and also connected at front of linkage. If it is unhooked, it will react as you describe.

Attachments

• MP41335________UN27JUN08.gif
    MP41335________UN27JUN08.gif
    26 KB · Views: 1,410
   / 3038E - Hydraulic Filter change #8  
I've only had my JD 3038E about a year and probably only have done about 10 hours of loader work. I hope you'll keep us up to date on the fix.

My wife finally mowed with the JD last week and says it's much easier than with the riding mower. I'm happy with the 3038E so far.

My son works for a Kubota dealer. He wants to go on vacation but his boss says there are 50 large Kubotas, that they sold, that are being recalled and it is a major tear-down. They just hired 2 more mechanics since it's an all day job on each one.

/ 3038E - Hydraulic Filter change #9  
... My local dealer said that he recommends changing the hydraulic "suction" filter first and seeing if this corrects the problem...

When I hear "suction filter", I'm invisioning the fine mesh screen in the hydraulic reservoir. Have you checked and/or cleaned this filter yet? I'll admit that I know nothing about the 3038e..........