2520 popping out of 4WD

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD
Hi Gobblin Tom,

360 hours on my 2520 and almost 5 years old.
I've never had my tractor pop out of 4wd once it was engaged.
I have had a heavy load (61" bucket full of t-pak) in my bucket going down a hill to lay material for a boat launch.
I use both my 4wd & diff. lock often. I have a very wet spot in my yard that I mow over and when coming up to it I engage 4wd on the fly with my foot and have my heel on the diff. lock once I start to feel the rear wheels slipping. Once throught the wet spot, the diff lock pops up naturally and then I use the heel of my foot to pull up on the 4wd lever to put it back in 2wd on the fly.

If your tractor is in warranty, it's a no brainer...call the dealer.
If not, I'd pony up and have the tractor serviced and have this fixed ASAP as it sounds like you have a possible safety hazard.
When you said you had to drop the bucket quickly to slow yourself down...did you forget to mention that you probably "pooped your pants" right before you dropped the bucket:laughing:?

The tractor only has 34 hours on it and yes it would be covered under warranty. The 1st time it caught me a little off guard but from there I knew to watch for it, I am not one to panic under pressure so it didn't give me a skid mark or anything... LOL:ashamed:

Hey Tom,
Man,sorry to hear you're having another problem.
From what guys have said,I too actually "feel" it click or indent or whatever you would call it. It doesn't do a serious lock per say like your range lever does. It is ....I guess subtle,but you can still feel it.

Here are a couple pics with where the lever is engaged and disengaged.

Greg

Thanks Greg, my lever feels like it is switching (by hand it feels like it, can't tell with my foot) but just not staying engaged when it has a heavy load on it. It didn't pop out every time but when you are unsure it makes you uneasy.. I worked hard to get this tractor and it took a long time for me to finally get it. I never expected to have even a small problem let alone something that seems hazardous.. I think I will have Robert at VD call a rep and inquire, seems like that would be the smart thing to do??

Hey Tom,
Man,sorry to hear you're having another problem.
From what guys have said,I too actually "feel" it click or indent or whatever you would call it. It doesn't do a serious lock per say like your range lever does. It is ....I guess subtle,but you can still feel it.

Here are a couple pics with where the lever is engaged and disengaged.

Greg

Mine is reading the same as yours with the tape....

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #24  
Mine is reading the same as yours with the tape....

Tom,
I just checked how the feel was moving the lever in and out of 4WD. It moves relatively easy but does definately click/engage in both positions.

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #25  
With only 34 hours on it, Deere will no doubt make this right for you.
Nothing is perfect and everything breaks.
Once they fix this, you will learn to trust it and you will love it.
Please let us all know how you were treated and the final outcome.

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #26  
So, are you sure that it has been going all the way into 4WD? My 4WD light comes on when I barely move the lever down but it is not engaged until it is all the way down. I definately can feel the engagement. Good luck and let us know as I sure wouldn't want to experiance this.

So I put a call back into the dealer this morning, he said he was going to check with the service manager and get back to me. I asked if he was going to contact a JD rep and he said not yet until he talks to the service manager. I would have thought with a safety concern like that he would let someone at JD know??? I guess time will tell... It don't look like I will be using it much this week anyway with all the rain and work schedules....

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #28  
So I put a call back into the dealer this morning, he said he was going to check with the service manager and get back to me. I asked if he was going to contact a JD rep and he said not yet until he talks to the service manager. I would have thought with a safety concern like that he would let someone at JD know??? I guess time will tell... It don't look like I will be using it much this week anyway with all the rain and work schedules....

I think it's typical for the dealer to trouble shoot this before they make a call to the John Deere factory representative. It's no different than if your transmission had problems in a GM pickup truck, and you took it to a GM dealer/service center the dearler would trouble shoot it before contacting a GM rep. Your Deere dealer and their service techs are trained or have the service manuals available to them to solve these problems. If they cannot...then they are going to call a John Deere rep.

Even though we all think our problems are big problems, the dealer is going to take it in stride with the many problems they fix everyday. I am sure your problem will be solved....after all, your tractor has the highest looked upon and prestigeous name/logo on the hood....John Deere.:D

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #29  
Tom I'll be glad (and so won't you) when you have the little bugs worked out so you can then help me with my new 2520 that's expected to arrive anyday.

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #30  
From what I can see in the service manual, all the lever does is move a collar to engage two splined shafts that are piloted together.

The output shaft has a hole drilled through the splines where the collar slides. In the drilled hole, there is a spring and two balls that act as a detent for the collar. It all looks pretty simple, but you have to disassemble the transmission to get to these parts. I'm guessing that the spring or balls are missing. That would certainly explain your problem.