JD 3720 & Wallenstein BXM42

/ JD 3720 & Wallenstein BXM42 #1  

EyeGuy

Tractor
JD 3720
Thinking of adding a chipper/shredder to my gear. Wallenstein BXM42 suggests a minimum 35-40 HP for maximum function. I think my JD 3720 should handle this alright. Just curious if anyone has this setup and what their experience has been.

/ JD 3720 & Wallenstein BXM42 #2  
Don't have that set-up, but I feel you have plenty of HP for that chipper / shredder. I don't see any disappointments in running that chipper ....... and think you have enough tractor to step up a size in chipper should you want.

/ JD 3720 & Wallenstein BXM42 #3  
I have a similar setup. Just bought a bxm42 in Dec and have used it on my 4710. I think about the same pto hp as your 3720. Plenty of power. The chipper shredder is a well built piece. I find using the shredder most of the time to grind up limbs and brush.

/ JD 3720 & Wallenstein BXM42 #4  
I have a Bobcat 235, which is 34 HP (26 HP PTO) and am ready to pull the trigger on a 42 BXM. When the Wallenstein manual quotes HP are they quoting PTO HP or engine HP?

/ JD 3720 & Wallenstein BXM42 #5  
I am guessing pto hp. Bought mine through Woodward Crossing. Give Marlin a call and he will be able to answer.

/ JD 3720 & Wallenstein BXM42 #6  
I have a JD 2305 and I am running the bx42 on it. It runs very smooth and does not bog down the motor at all. The rep that sold it to me (an ex-mechanic) stated that the bx42 will run more efficient on my tractor because of the larger fly wheel. It will actually use less horsepower to keep it going than the smaller bx35.

I have not pushed the unit with much hard wood but I am confident that it would chew up almost anything that I put in it.

I am not sure if there is a difference between the bx42 and the bxm42 so make sure we are talking about the same unit.

Good luck.

/ JD 3720 & Wallenstein BXM42 #7  
I agree with Ductape that you probably could move up to the BX62 in size on your tractor. I have the straight BX42 on my B2620. The BMX42 machines weren't out three years ago when I bought mine. Mine would certainly use more HP if I had it, but it runs pretty well even on maximum sized limbs. I have stalled it once on a maximum sized very dry Elm branch, and it used to clog up some on leafy, and viney tiny branches before I adjusted the knives to the righ clearance. ( the rotatinn knives, and fixed knife were three times further apart than they should be from the factory, and that probably is for break in, paint, etc.)
(The BX42 is a chipper only, and the BMX42 also has a mulching head / hopper for leaves, small branches, etc. I have found that running my chipper at the 960 PTO rpm setting makes a pretty darn good mulcher, and sure spits the small stuff through there. The BMX series wasn't available when I bought mine)