Mowing JD 285 PTO ELECTRIC CLUTCH

/ JD 285 PTO ELECTRIC CLUTCH #1  

Saltmines

Tractor
JD M & JD 285
Hi, Yesterday the 50" mower on my 285 stopped working. I've got the repair/maintenance manual and the PTO SWITCH CHECKS OK and the PTO RELAY CHECKS OK, so I guess I have to check the clutch itself. IF the clutch is faultly, what is the procedure to remove and replace it? Thanks, Saltmines

/ JD 285 PTO ELECTRIC CLUTCH #2  
Not familiar with the 285 but on almost all mowers the clutch is held on by a bolt through the center that threads into the end of the crank shaft. There is also some form of "Anti-spin" device. This may be a simple slot engaged on a stud or there may be bolt on device. Almost always belts guides, shrouds, etc, have to be removed.

Every electric clutch I have seen has some form of spring loaded adjustment for the air gap. Usually 3 or 4 spring loaded studs with lock nots on them. If you are real lucky and your clutch hasn't burnt out check the air gap. This is done by sliding a feeler gauge between the clutch plate and friction disc. There are slots on the perimeter of the clutch for doing this. Air gap should be around .010 of an inch.

Roy

/ JD 285 PTO ELECTRIC CLUTCH #3  
When the clutch on my JD285 failed it was the wires broken right where they go into the clutch. There was no way to repair them. I had to replace the clutch.

/ JD 285 PTO ELECTRIC CLUTCH #4  

Attachments

• 285.gif
    285.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 2,707
   / JD 285 PTO ELECTRIC CLUTCH #5  
I'm having the same problem and I haven't located the relays yet. I replaced the mower deck switch and it seemed to fix it for a short time but it quit today and won't even try to turn on the deck now. Where were your relays? I was told forward of the battery but there's nothing there. There's a mass of wiring under the battery tray so I'm thinking they might be there.

/ JD 285 PTO ELECTRIC CLUTCH #6  
I had a similar problem, I adjusted the gap on the clutch, actually about half turn of each adjusting bolt and that was four years ago. Try that first and save yourself a lot of trouble shooting.

/ JD 285 PTO ELECTRIC CLUTCH #7  
I had a similar problem, I adjusted the gap on the clutch, actually about half turn of each adjusting bolt and that was four years ago. Try that first and save yourself a lot of trouble shooting.

I just did the same thing on mine and fixed it.

/ JD 285 PTO ELECTRIC CLUTCH #8  
Glad it worked! Pretty simple stuff. I guess they get out of adjustment with all that spinning!