John Deere 850 utility m transmission repair

/ John Deere 850 utility m transmission repair #1  

Randy 1

Tractor
John Deere 850 compact utility
A "freind used my 850 compact utility tractor with manual transmission and now the shifter for high and low range doesn't operate. It just moves without resistance. Can it be repaired by removing the 4 bolts on the plate that hold the main shifter lever or what needs to be done? Did he break a pin or what is most likely the problem?
Thanks for any help on this.
Randy 1

/ John Deere 850 utility m transmission repair #2  
If the spring pin that attaches shift handle to rod is intact then it could be the shift fork part # CH13359 or related items. I would think one would have to remove trans top cover to look inside.

/ John Deere 850 utility m transmission repair
The spring pin is in tact and the shaft moves with the handle. By taking off the cover can I replace the fork or whatever is broken without taking the tranny apart? I have never workedon a John Deere tranny before and it has been many years since working on a tractpr tranny at all.

/ John Deere 850 utility m transmission repair #4  
Could be the fork or shift lever #9 in diagram. Either way tractor needs to be split. I think you may be able to see it if you remove plate behind the main shift lever.

Attachments

• RWP2368________UN01JAN94.gif
    RWP2368________UN01JAN94.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 1,149
   / John Deere 850 utility m transmission repair
That's what I was afraid of, any idea how many hours a dealer would charge for this? Any info you could give would be greatly appreciated.

/ John Deere 850 utility m transmission repair #6  
A "freind used my 850 compact utility tractor with manual transmission and now the shifter for high and low range doesn't operate. It just moves without resistance. Can it be repaired by removing the 4 bolts on the plate that hold the main shifter lever or what needs to be done? Did he break a pin or what is most likely the problem?
Thanks for any help on this.
Randy 1

Randy did you ever follow through and repair this tractor?
I just had this happen to my 850 and after taking it apart i found the shift pin actually broke. The replacement part is only 20 bucks but there's no way of getting it in without breaking down the tractor from what I see.
I'd like to know what you ended up doing and what it cost you.
I'm thinking of having a 2 piece part machined so I could put it in there with out taking the tractor apart.
Anybody else have any ideas.

/ John Deere 850 utility m transmission repair #7  
I would suggest that you send Randy a private messages since he is a new member it is possible that he does not follow TBN regularly. :thumbsup: