blown key switch fuse

/ blown key switch fuse #1  

jpig

Tractor
jd 5205
I have a 5205 JD . driving with a load of wood and the tractor just stopped as if it were out of fuel. tried to restart it and it did nothing. found a blown key switch fuse , I replaced it and when I tried to start it the fuse blew again . It did not turn over at all. What is causing this to happen?

/ blown key switch fuse #2  
How was the load of wood being carried ?

Did you twist the tractor ?

Did anything happen while driving the tractor before it stopped ?

Are there any harnesses hanging ?

Were the lights on ?

What works now ?

/ blown key switch fuse #3  
You said key switch fuse, could it be fuel-solenoid, if so/would not hurt to try.

I believe the problem is the temperature sensor. On the thermostat housing there is a temperature sensor that is connected to a two wire harness that goes to the injection pump, this is the "cold start advance" portion of the system so it starts easier when cold, the sensor is so it doesn't activate once warmed up. If you disconnect the sensor and it works fine ohm the sensor, probably shorted.

The sensor on the thermostat housing, that controls the advance on the inj. pump. When it fails it shorts out and blows the fuse. Try unplugging it, replace fuse and see if it starts and runs. The part # is RE503242 (see picture), if you are quick changing it, you don't have to drain the coolant, just make sure it's not hot at the time.

John Deere - Parts Catalog

Here is a URL on the 3029 engine and addresses the cold start
http://www.visaevolution.com/dati_sito/manuali/officina/motori/john deere/ctm125-3029-ENG.pdf

Last edited:
   / blown key switch fuse
The tractor was on level ground, no harness was hanging ,tractor acted normal ,all of the lights are working properly. I just have to turn the key to the on position for the fuse to blow , it just died. help!

/ blown key switch fuse #5  
   / blown key switch fuse
I went out to the tractor and pulled the wire off of the stat and it started, no blown fuse . You just saved me a lot of money! I'm sure the dealer would have found something else that would have cost alot more to fix. I will take the savings and buy me more 30 amp fuses, I used all that I had. lol THANK YOU VERY MUCH You guys save us guys alot of time and money . I'm glad we have this site to go to .Thanks again

/ blown key switch fuse #7  
I would also like to thank JD5210.... I had the same issue with my 5205 and this advice saved me a service call!!!!

/ blown key switch fuse #8  
I had this same problem and this thread got me back on the job. Mine was the temperature sensor. THANKS!

/ blown key switch fuse #9  
Ours was the temperature sensor. We just unplugged it and replaced fuse. Other fuses good but while tractor runs fine now none of my gauges work. Is this normal while operating with sensor unplugged?

/ blown key switch fuse #10  
The temp sensor went out on my 5303, gauges still work unplugged. New sensor $48. I've never needed that garbage on any other tractor to start:confused3:

Ronnie