Whats with you guys and ballast boxes and rear weight implements.

/ Whats with you guys and ballast boxes and rear weight implements. #1  

Edward. S

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere
I honestly never used ballast on my JD 5420 with a 541 NSL loader. I have around 3960 Hours on her and never used ballast. Whats the point I really dont know why we need ballast. I did lots of loader work about maybe 1000 hours of it.

/ Whats with you guys and ballast boxes and rear weight implements. #2  
Did you lift mulch all day on perfectly level ground? First load of clay dirt that went in my bucket lifted the rear wheels off the ground. Had to slap on a box blade, and a pallet of stone lifted that up, so jad to use a 1000lb sand box to keep it down.

/ Whats with you guys and ballast boxes and rear weight implements. #3  
It also helps relieve some of the strain on the front axle by shifting weight to the rear.

/ Whats with you guys and ballast boxes and rear weight implements. #4  
I honestly never used ballast on my JD 5420 with a 541 NSL loader.
If you have wheel weights and/or fluid-filled tires, you ARE ballasted. And given the tire size on a 5540, a wheel weight/fluid combo may actually be sufficient for whatever it is you shift with your front loader. Others need additional weight behind the tractor - over and above what's actually on the rear axel - to compensate for heavier loads in front of the tractor.

x2 on relieving front axle/front drive stress as well.

//greg//

/ Whats with you guys and ballast boxes and rear weight implements. #5  
It also helps relieve some of the strain on the front axle by shifting weight to the rear.

If you have wheel weights and/or fluid-filled tires, you ARE ballasted. And given the tire size on a 5540, a wheel weight/fluid combo may actually be sufficient for whatever it is you shift with your front loader. Others need additional weight behind the tractor - over and above what's actually on the rear axel - to compensate for heavier loads in front of the tractor.

x2 on relieving front axle/front drive stress as well.

//greg//

Just be aware that you need the ballast aft of the rear axle to unload the front one.

/ Whats with you guys and ballast boxes and rear weight implements. #6  
I honestly never used ballast on my JD 5420 with a 541 NSL loader. I have around 3960 Hours on her and never used ballast. Whats the point I really dont know why we need ballast. I did lots of loader work about maybe 1000 hours of it.

Whats the point I really dont know why we need ballast.

Point is,you don't own a CUT.
Compact Utility Tractors need rear ballast,your tractor doesn't.....simple.:)

Greg

/ Whats with you guys and ballast boxes and rear weight implements. #7  
Compact Utility Tractors need rear ballast,your tractor doesn't.....simple.
Sorry, it's not that simple at all. In fact the 5420 owner's manual contains quite an extensive section on ballasting. Click here, and scroll to section 70.

//greg//

/ Whats with you guys and ballast boxes and rear weight implements. #8  
The bigger tractors like the 5420 you do not notice needing it as much especially if you have 4x4 but it is safer to have ballast to the rear. Now 2wd drive coming up a steep hill with a load it is definitely needed to get traction on the rear tires even if they are full of water. I have a creek I get sand from and my 2wd 5320 will not come out with not but a half load with no ballast.Just looses traction. I put my box blade on the back with two 55 poly drums full of water and she will walks up the creek bank with a full load all day long.

/ Whats with you guys and ballast boxes and rear weight implements. #9  
Sorry, it's not that simple at all. In fact the 5420 owner's manual contains quite an extensive section on ballasting. Click here, and scroll to section 70.

//greg//

Hey Greg
Actually,after reading that,it seems it's basically for tractive purposes on the larger tractors,and not keeping the rear down and load off the front like our CUTs need. Like Edwad S stated,if you don't need anything for added traction,you can max that loader all day long,and not have to worry about axle loading.:)

Greg

/ Whats with you guys and ballast boxes and rear weight implements.
Did you lift mulch all day on perfectly level ground? First load of clay dirt that went in my bucket lifted the rear wheels off the ground. Had to slap on a box blade, and a pallet of stone lifted that up, so jad to use a 1000lb sand box to keep it down.

I never lifted mulch. I lifted lots of gravel and sand with this tractor mostly. You honestly think I lift mulch, your just silly. I have no weights on this tractor what so ever. No wheel weights, rim gaurd etc.