diverter valve question -

/ diverter valve question - #1  

purpony

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2440/JD 3020/JD 314/JD 345/JD 850/JD 2320
Looking to put a meyers plow on my 2320 JD bucket arms. I want to keep the up and down, and curl function and add a side to side tilt. I would like to run this all on my factory bucket control stick so im looking to put a converter valve in.

I was looking at this unit -

Prince Double Selector Valve - Hydraulics, Pneumatics and Power Transmission at Beiler Hydraulics

From reading the description, this sounds like what i need? With the knob in I can control factory functions of the bucket, and with the knob out I can replace the curl function with side to side tilt, correct?

/ diverter valve question - #2  
Cannot answer your question, but before you spend your money, answer me this question. What type of cylinder(s) will you be using to make it go side to side and will it be on the curl function? If it is going to be with single action cylinders, then I suggest you do a search on TBN on regen and insure it will not cause you a problem.

/ diverter valve question - #3  
At first glance that appears that it will work, Kenny D and JJ will probably answer and they are more knowlegeble. Depending on what you are looking at for convenience you might be better served with an electric over hydraulic diverter. The one you link to has to have all 6 hoses run to it and be in a place that is reasonably accessable to pull or push the control. When running a plow the ablity to change between plow angle and curl(bite of the plow blade) without moving your hand from the joystick or looking down to find a lever is very valuable, I have a JD plow mounted on the font of the loader for snow. With the electric units you have a switch usually on the joystick and you simply push the button to switch between funcitons. I personally have a Fasse valve installed by the dealer but after reading the instructions I don't really think it would be any big deal to install one.

Todd

/ diverter valve question - #4  
Hmmm...that would be something I could use to control 3pt top & tilt with my loader joystick, right?

/ diverter valve question - #5  
Hmmm...that would be something I could use to control 3pt top & tilt with my loader joystick, right?

You'd need to have two of them to control both top AND tilt with the loader valve.

/ diverter valve question - #6  
Take a closer look - this is a single knob that controls two circuits, right? From the product description: "For example two double acting cylinders or two reversible hydraulic motors can be operated by one four-way valve"

I think it's just the ticket - buy a $76 diverter valve instead of a multi-hundred $ dual SCV...and no worries about where to stick the extra joystick on a cramped machine.

/ diverter valve question - #7  
I just answered your PM...

The diverter you linked will work-but being manual it will be a PITA to use and locate where you can reach it.

You can lock the regen out, so no worries using two SA cylinders to operate the plow.

Now I will caution you about these plows on small machines-I built one years ago and HATED it. It sticks out to far in front and you are always loosing steering control. They seems to work OK on larger machines, but not the smaller ones. I now have a frame mounted plow and life is good.

/ diverter valve question - #8  
Take a closer look - this is a single knob that controls two circuits, right? From the product description: "For example two double acting cylinders or two reversible hydraulic motors can be operated by one four-way valve"
I think it's just the ticket - buy a $76 diverter valve instead of a multi-hundred $ dual SCV...and no worries about where to stick the extra joystick on a cramped machine.

No, it "splits" one circuit into two-but you can only use one at a time. There is essentially one input and two outputs.

You would still need two of them. One to divert the lift/lower circuit, and one to divert the dump/curl circuit.

/ diverter valve question - #9  
Ah, yes. Of course.

Does the selector valve I'm dreaming of exist? Even if it's the same price as a dual SCV, I'd rather have a knob I can "hide" than another joystick that I'm going to catch something on every other time I turn around.

/ diverter valve question - #10  
Ah, yes. Of course.

Does the selector valve I'm dreaming of exist? Even if it's the same price as a dual SCV, I'd rather have a knob I can "hide" than another joystick that I'm going to catch something on every other time I turn around.

Yes and no...You can "stack" two of the electric diverter together...but: with the amount of hoses that would need to connect to these it would get unruly fast-and be ugly as sin to look at.

OTOH, adding a simple valve and plumbing it into the PB line is a much more elegant solution.