4310 Stalling out

/ 4310 Stalling out #1  

HeyNow

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310
My 4310 now has 225 hours. I have had a few minor issues with the tractor over the years which I have been able to resolve myself. Yesterday, as I was bush hoggin my engine began to miss a bit and then slowly shut off. I could restart it immediately at a lower throttle and move the throttle up and all would be fine for a minute then it would slowly die again.

I changed the fuel filter, drained the fuel tank and used a separating filter, refueled and still have the same issue. I have taken off the fuel cap and blown air up through the top and I do get air out the top. Air filters are new.

This seems to happen after the engine is warmed up a bit. Still starts quickly every time. One thing I think I'll try tomorrow is to try and duplicate that same situation and then park it and take the fuel cap completly off and see if it still occurs just to rule out the fuel cap. Fuel filter cup does not drop in level.

Any recommendations on what I may be missing?
Thanks in advance.

Randy

/ 4310 Stalling out
Intake is clear. Just stalled on me again and I removed the fuel cap and it did not correct the issue. I found a 2004 post that described my problem exactly. Turned out to be a fuel injection pump failure. Wonder how difficult that change will be?

/ 4310 Stalling out #4  
Intake is clear. Just stalled on me again and I removed the fuel cap and it did not correct the issue. I found a 2004 post that described my problem exactly. Turned out to be a fuel injection pump failure. Wonder how difficult that change will be?

Oh man that would suck, Wouldn't worry how difficult it was to change but how expensive it is.

At those low hours ? Definitely sounds fuel related but I hope it's not the HP pump.

These things do have alot of electronics but I'm not sure if the fuel system is controlled by any of them??

Good luck from one 4310 owner to another.

JB.

/ 4310 Stalling out
I believe I have the problem solved. I pulled the hose off that leads back to the fuel tank, the one above the drain valve, when I did that no fuel came out. I gave the hose a quick blast of air and fuel began to flow. I just ran the tractor for over an hour with no problems!
I am going to have to get the dirt out of my tank when the fuel level gets lower.

Thanks to all that responded!

Randy

/ 4310 Stalling out #6  
I believe I have the problem solved. I pulled the hose off that leads back to the fuel tank, the one above the drain valve, when I did that no fuel came out. I gave the hose a quick blast of air and fuel began to flow. I just ran the tractor for over an hour with no problems!
I am going to have to get the dirt out of my tank when the fuel level gets lower.

Thanks to all that responded!

Randy

Good to hear! Must be a return line?

JB

/ 4310 Stalling out
I am assuming so. I only wish I could have blown it from the tank to the open hose and not back into the tank!

/ 4310 Stalling out #9  
That's what the fuel filter is for.

Yeah that's what I was gonna say, don't worry about that little bit that went back in the tank, couldn't of been much anyway. I don't know if there is a screen in the tank itself but like I said there could not of been much in the line to block the screen. Sounds like maybe the tractor sits for long periods of time, to allow the fuel that sat in the line to gunk up?

Just hope that was your problem, big difference between blowing a line out and having to replace/repair an injection pump.

Something I'll remember if mine acts up, I'll know what to look for and where to start. Mine will sit for up to a month at the most.

Thanks, JB

/ 4310 Stalling out
I work my tractor just about everyday. I hate the design of the fuel cap with the drain tube through the engine compartment. What were they thinking? I had to remove the down tube because it was clogging up and any junk was pooling in the "pond" below the fuel cap.