Tires Narrow or Wide?

/ Narrow or Wide? #1  

platinumits

Tractor
John Deere 3320
I have a 2011 JD 3320. I read in the manual that the tires can be reversed. Just out of curiosity, im wondering:
1. Do the tires come setup narrow or wide (looking at them , I assume narrow)
2. Why would anyone want to flip them around?
3. What effect does it have on the turning radius?
4. What effect does it have on stability?
Thanks!

/ Narrow or Wide? #2  
I have a 2011 JD 3320. I read in the manual that the tires can be reversed. Just out of curiosity, im wondering:
Thanks!
1. Can't answer that one.
2. several reasons...... row width, stability, etc.
3.Probably increases turning radius slightly
4. Wider stance is more stable

/ Narrow or Wide? #3  
Don87 had the same answers I would give you.
I'll add one answer to question #1: every new tractor I've seen on the dealer's lot had the wheels set in the narrow position.

After reversing my tires (turfs), I didn't notice any difference in turning radius at all.
I did notice big improvement in stability.

/ Narrow or Wide? #4  

More stability on hilly ground. Also more clearance for tire chains. Did the flip on my 4300 and gained about 2 inches per tire.

/ Narrow or Wide? #5  
I believe on the 3x20 tractors when the value stem is facing out the tires are in the narrow spacing. This is the case with the small R4s at least.

/ Narrow or Wide? #6  
Did the flip on my 4300 and gained about 2 inches per tire.

Good point!! I got at least 2" more clearance per side for chains. I should have mentioned this in my response...

/ Narrow or Wide? #7  
I believe on the 3x20 tractors when the value stem is facing out the tires are in the narrow spacing. This is the case with the small R4s at least.
Uncle Paul... I have the big R4s on my 3320 and the valve stem is outside and that's also the narrow position.

/ Narrow or Wide? #8  
My 3320 had the narrow setting with the valve stems "out". I have the "big" R4 tires. When getting the tires filled with rimguard....I had the tires reversed. I think this only added about 2" to the width...but, as said, it improved clearance for chains and an extra inch pr two helps with stability.

As currently set up....I am at 60" wide...which is the width of most of my implements. :thumbsup: The extra width and fluid-filled rears helps with loader work and overall stability.

/ Narrow or Wide? #9  
If you have a wide enough mower or whatever implement your using to have you tires in the wide position, then you will be better off to use the wide position.

/ Narrow or Wide? #10  
On a 3x20 series tractor I would recommend the wide setting for better stability. Should also mention that to accomplish this you swap the tires and wheels to opposite sides of the tractor to keep the tread pattern and direction correct.