A random question

/ A random question #1  

bxowner

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5055e
Why are the 2320/2520/2720 the only tractors that have a forward-leaning top-half-of-the-folding ROPS? It seems to lend itself to better protection of the operator. Yet, they didn't incorporate the same design on the new 1-series. Nor did JD modify the 3000+ series tractors with it.

Haven't seen other manufacturers do it, either.

/ A random question #2  
So you can run a backhoe, clearance for your noggin.

/ A random question
Sure. But, there are backhoes on the 1-series, 3000-series, etc. as well.

It can't just be aesthetics...

/ A random question #4  
On a 1000 series you flip the seat around and sit under the bar just like you do when operating it when facing forward.
On the 2520, 2320 etc the hoes have their own seat which elevates you higher hence the angle they put on the rops to give you room to fit.
It's not an issue on the 3000 series which is a larger frame different tractor where there is more room.
That's all there is to it.

/ A random question #5  
My 1988 JD 650 had a straight ROPS and if I had a dollar for every time I slammed my head into it while changing seats from tractor to BH or vice-versa ....well I'd have extra money. Not to mention I am only 5' 8" tall.

/ A random question #6  
The x50 and x55 tractors required you to buy an optional taller ROPS for backhoe use. It added about eight inches height. I remember seeing lots of standard ROPS stacked behind the dealer back then that had been replaced by the taller one. Not all got theirs replaced, especially when the backhoe was purchased later after the tractor.

/ A random question
Huh. Makes sense. Thanks for the info.