Pto shaft extension.

/ Pto shaft extension. #1  

buckshot721

Silver Member
Tractor
All John Deere 425 x485 2305 4x2 Gator L130
I have a tiller for my x485, trying to work some ground that is a little ruff for that machine, so I tried to put the tiller behind my 2305. Come to find out the pto shaft is a little short. Priced some shafts at TSC and wow around $200.00 for the length I need. Poking around the store I find shaft extensions, that fit over the pto stub shaft and bolt on. My question is has anybody tried these before? Seems to me it would real easy to snap the stub shaft.

/ Pto shaft extension. #2  
buckshot721 said:
I have a tiller for my x485, trying to work some ground that is a little ruff for that machine, so I tried to put the tiller behind my 2305. Come to find out the pto shaft is a little short. Priced some shafts at TSC and wow around $200.00 for the length I need. Poking around the store I find shaft extensions, that fit over the pto stub shaft and bolt on. My question is has anybody tried these before? Seems to me it would real easy to snap the stub shaft.

Used one when we had the 1523, because the shaft was too short, and the 4" extension was cheaper than a new shaft. Measurement is critical.

/ Pto shaft extension. #3  
I have used the extention (look for "PTO Adaptor" on the TSC or Agri-Supply websites) on my Woods 5000 Chipper/Shredder on both my 790 and 4400. So far, no problems. However, a chipper is a stationary unit and it gets only a few hours use two or three times a year.
Always try to keep the PTO shaft and extention in as straight a line as possibleto reduce side loads.

/ Pto shaft extension. #4  
I use one on my 2305 for my tiller. Works great. When I first bought my jd and tiller I had to measure and cut the drive-shaft to the right length, but a year later I bought the quick-hitch and realize that the shaft was now to short. People on TBN suggested that I buy a PTO extension. Fix my problem. I would recommend it anytime.:thumbsup:

/ Pto shaft extension. #5  
I had this same problem and bought the $249 6' shaft. I've not used it yet and might return it:thumbsup:
HOW does this extension attach? does it cause imbalance vibration? (I know this is not a 40,000 RPM turbine) Can it come loose and go flying thru the air?
Thanks for this great info.:D

/ Pto shaft extension. #6  
I had this same problem and bought the $249 6' shaft. I've not used it yet and might return it:thumbsup:
HOW does this extension attach? does it cause imbalance vibration? (I know this is not a 40,000 RPM turbine) Can it come loose and go flying thru the air?
Thanks for this great info.:D

I never noticed any imbalance, but we're only looking at 540 RPM.
As far as connecting...there's a push pin lock (very likely, just like the one on your current PTO driveline) and a groove in the splines that your current PTO drive line locks on to (just like your tractor PTO stubshaft).So, as long as everything is locked in place, no chance of anything flying.

After adding the extention, just make sure your PTO drive line doesn't bottom out when lifting the implement and, as I wrote in my first post, try to keep everything as straight as possible.

/ Pto shaft extension. #7  
Took a few pics. for your info. What Roy say.

Attachments

• DSCF6416.jpg
    DSCF6416.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 3,187
  • DSCF6417.jpg
    DSCF6417.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 2,179
   / Pto shaft extension. #8  
Thank you guys, that really helps.
The TRACTOR SUPPLY extension has the holes but no ring w/spring pin???? Maybe that is an additional part? If so, I'll return the 6' $249 shaft and buy the extension. Thanks again :)

/ Pto shaft extension. #9  
   / Pto shaft extension. #10  
Roy,
You're a life saver....THANKS.
I had already CALLED T.S. and asked them to HOLD one with the holes.
After your post I ORDERED the "pin" one from A.S.

Heartfelt thanks,
Rob

PS. It sure is easy to screw up learning this business