Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    All John Deere 425 x485 4200

Default Pto shaft extension.

I have a tiller for my x485, trying to work some ground that is a little ruff for that machine, so I tried to put the tiller behind my 2305. Come to find out the pto shaft is a little short. Priced some shafts at TSC and wow around $200.00 for the length I need. Poking around the store I find shaft extensions, that fit over the pto stub shaft and bolt on. My question is has anybody tried these before? Seems to me it would real easy to snap the stub shaft.

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot721
    I have a tiller for my x485, trying to work some ground that is a little ruff for that machine, so I tried to put the tiller behind my 2305. Come to find out the pto shaft is a little short. Priced some shafts at TSC and wow around $200.00 for the length I need. Poking around the store I find shaft extensions, that fit over the pto stub shaft and bolt on. My question is has anybody tried these before? Seems to me it would real easy to snap the stub shaft.
    Used one when we had the 1523, because the shaft was too short, and the 4" extension was cheaper than a new shaft. Measurement is critical.
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Default Re: Pto shaft extension.

I have used the extention (look for "PTO Adaptor" on the TSC or Agri-Supply websites) on my Woods 5000 Chipper/Shredder on both my 790 and 4400. So far, no problems. However, a chipper is a stationary unit and it gets only a few hours use two or three times a year.
    Always try to keep the PTO shaft and extention in as straight a line as possibleto reduce side loads.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    2008 2305 jd

I use one on my 2305 for my tiller. Works great. When I first bought my jd and tiller I had to measure and cut the drive-shaft to the right length, but a year later I bought the quick-hitch and realize that the shaft was now to short. People on TBN suggested that I buy a PTO extension. Fix my problem. I would recommend it anytime.
    Henri

How could you be told I was french?

Rotary cutter 4' Howse , mid mount mower 54'' , f.e. loader 200CX , tiller RT1150 Frontier , cultivator PC1001 Frontier , middle buster PM1001 Frontier , JD 47'' front snowblower , pallet forks , grass-sweeper , quick hitch Speeco , trailer hitch , cab Jodale-Perry , trailer 16' galvanized Easy-Hauler ,

Tractor
    kubota L3010

I had this same problem and bought the $249 6' shaft. I've not used it yet and might return it
    HOW does this extension attach? does it cause imbalance vibration? (I know this is not a 40,000 RPM turbine) Can it come loose and go flying thru the air?
    Thanks for this great info.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing View Post
    I had this same problem and bought the $249 6' shaft. I've not used it yet and might return it
    HOW does this extension attach? does it cause imbalance vibration? (I know this is not a 40,000 RPM turbine) Can it come loose and go flying thru the air?
    Thanks for this great info.
    I never noticed any imbalance, but we're only looking at 540 RPM.
    As far as connecting...there's a push pin lock (very likely, just like the one on your current PTO driveline) and a groove in the splines that your current PTO drive line locks on to (just like your tractor PTO stubshaft).So, as long as everything is locked in place, no chance of anything flying.

After adding the extention, just make sure your PTO drive line doesn't bottom out when lifting the implement and, as I wrote in my first post, try to keep everything as straight as possible.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    2008 2305 jd

Took a few pics. for your info. What Roy say.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pto shaft extension.-dscf6416.jpg   Pto shaft extension.-dscf6417.jpg  
    Henri

How could you be told I was french?

Rotary cutter 4' Howse , mid mount mower 54'' , f.e. loader 200CX , tiller RT1150 Frontier , cultivator PC1001 Frontier , middle buster PM1001 Frontier , JD 47'' front snowblower , pallet forks , grass-sweeper , quick hitch Speeco , trailer hitch , cab Jodale-Perry , trailer 16' galvanized Easy-Hauler ,

Tractor
    kubota L3010

Thank you guys, that really helps.
    The TRACTOR SUPPLY extension has the holes but no ring w/spring pin???? Maybe that is an additional part? If so, I'll return the 6' $249 shaft and buy the extension. Thanks again

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing View Post
    Thank you guys, that really helps.
    The TRACTOR SUPPLY extension has the holes but no ring w/spring pin???? Maybe that is an additional part? If so, I'll return the 6' $249 shaft and buy the extension. Thanks again
    DO NOT get the extention with the holes!!

This is the one you want:
    PTO ADAPTER 1-3/8X6SPL M. X 1-3/8X6SPL F - Agri Supply
    Roy Jackson

-Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    kubota L3010

Roy,
    You're a life saver....THANKS.
    I had already CALLED T.S. and asked them to HOLD one with the holes.
    After your post I ORDERED the "pin" one from A.S.

Heartfelt thanks,
    Rob

PS. It sure is easy to screw up learning this business

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast