difference between 609 and MX6 cutters

/ difference between 609 and MX6 cutters #1  

milkie62

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800,Ford 801,MF 65, Kubota L305
been looking at new brush hogs.Local dealers do not have the 609 in stock so I can only go by the brochure.Is the 609 an animal compared to the MX6 ? Almost a $2k difference in price.

/ difference between 609 and MX6 cutters #2  
The MX6 is rated for up to 2" material and the 609 is rated for up to 4" material, thats on the order of four times the cross sectional area. Big difference to my thinking.

/ difference between 609 and MX6 cutters
I did know the difference in cutting ability.I do not think I would want to try and push over something that was 4" so I could cut it.I do not think you could back over that either.

/ difference between 609 and MX6 cutters #4  
Yeah, that diameter of trees and shrubs can be pretty stout! But.... you'd be surprised when you lift the mower 6" - 8" above the ground and then back up - wait a minute or two - and lower the mower to the ground!

Wood chips, anyone!??! :thumbsup: 'Course you want to be certain that there's nothing within a ~100ft, either! There's **** flying everywhere!

AKfish

/ difference between 609 and MX6 cutters #5  
509,609 & 709 mowers have been in production many years. I own an 80's model 709 and it's a beast. I had a New 8 ft red colored mower and found the 709 used for sale. I bought the used 709 and sent the 8ft packing down the road. The JD will cut circles around the red one.

/ difference between 609 and MX6 cutters #6  
The 609 doesn't have a blade pan. Just a bar that the blades attach to. There isn't that much difference in the weight of the MX and 609. If your really wanting to most big stuff check out the Brown cutters or the Schulte XH 600.:licking:

That said my MX6 has done well at mowing "weed trees" in the 2-3 inch class. If your mowing stuff like oak or locust I would get the heavier duty mowers. If its just sumac and redbuds a MX 6 will handle about all you throw at it in low gear. Best thing about a MX 6 is the outstanding finish it leaves on grass. If I was just mowing grass I would take off the chains and it would mow like a finish mower. But for now I'm leaving the chains on cause they look so cool!

/ difference between 609 and MX6 cutters #7  
I did know the difference in cutting ability.I do not think I would want to try and push over something that was 4" so I could cut it.I do not think you could back over that either.

I wouldn't drive over standing trees of that size either, but there are lots of places where this size stuff is allready down and needs to be chewed and beat up.

For most of my customers with small properties I haul this stuff away instead.

/ difference between 609 and MX6 cutters #8  
I wouldn't drive over standing trees of that size either, but there are lots of places where this size stuff is allready down and needs to be chewed and beat up.

For most of my customers with small properties I haul this stuff away instead.

Really... I know of alot of moose hunters that will drive over 4" trees all day long with their 4-wheelers!

If I had to haul away all of the trees that are 2nd or 3rd regrowth - well... it would cost a fortune in both time and money!

Push 'em down and chew 'em up! Close to the ground to do away with as many "staubs" as possible.

AKfish

/ difference between 609 and MX6 cutters #9  
Really... I know of alot of moose hunters that will drive over 4" trees all day long with their 4-wheelers!
Your idea of a 4" tree and mine must be very differant.

/ difference between 609 and MX6 cutters #10  
hi ive been known to mow off 4" trees several times , and havent had any problems , but you cant cut trees with a cheaper , light weight rotary cutter. you can forget that in my opinnoin.it takes a good heavy duty mower and a good tractor with some size to mow trees and filth like you are talking about. justmy .02 cts. have a good one