2305 starting problem

/ 2305 starting problem #1  

ndfellow

Tractor
John Deere 2305
I just bought my first small tractor. 2008 2305 with a snow blower, loader, 62 inch deck, bagger and a JoDale cab. It's going to be great for blowing snow.

My question is it is having some issues starting. When you turn the key 4 out of 5 turn will only be a "click click click click starts". I'm concerned it's the starter or something else so I'm looking to see where I can start first before I have to drag it to the dealer with 15 minutes on it. It does have 480 hours from the original owner on it and I've called and asked him if this is a new issue but I'm sure I know the answer.

Thanks in advance!

/ 2305 starting problem #2  
Congrats on the new tractor. I bought the same model a few months ago. Don't know a lot about tractors, but I would pull the battery and have it checked out to see if it is holding a charge.

/ 2305 starting problem #3  
Welcome.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

In addition make sure the battery and starter cables are properly connected at both ends. :)

/ 2305 starting problem #4  
and dont forget to clean the battery tray with backing soda and water

i would recommend a yellow top battery ( @ advance auto)

the factory supplied battery is POS

once you get to know your tractor you WILL love it

/ 2305 starting problem #5  
There have been number of discussions on this and other forums about the battery in a 2305. You descriptions sounds like a dying battery. It's not about the hours on the tractor, but the length of time the battery has been in service.

/ 2305 starting problem #6  
I've had my 2305 less than 100 hrs and have already replaced the battery. Based on experience: I agree - the strong box batteries JD sells are POS. Go with the yellow top.

/ 2305 starting problem #7  
I had a similar failure. I've owned a 2305 since new in 2005. Replaced the battery in 2010. While it did not last as long as I expected...I usually go 7 to +10 yrs on an auto battery...I believe 5 yrs is ok considering I never plugged that first battery on my Deltron battery tender. It sat most of the winter, slowly discharging. I now plug the new battery (a JD replacement) on the Deltron battery maintainer religiously when not in use. I also use the the battery tender on each mortorcycle and car now (except the daily driver). Looked for non-JD battery replacement, but nothing matched the cable polarity or mounting like the factory battery case. I guarantee a battery will fail prematurely if you do not mount it rigid in place and it bounces around while in operation.

/ 2305 starting problem #8  
Start by checking the connections on the battery posts. Are they tight? Follow the ground wire to where it is attached to the frame. Is it tight? Does it look like it was placed on top of paint and not making a good connection? Remove the ground wire where attached to the frame, clean real good down to bare metal, re-install ground wire.

/ 2305 starting problem
So I brought the tractor home and now it runs fine. I removed and cleaned the ground but will keep you all posted. Thank you!!!

/ 2305 starting problem
So after a few months I ad to take the tractor in. I have a starter that's going bad. Anyone have a recommendation on where to get one the dealer wants over 750 bucks which I think is steep. I'm also dissappointed this starter is not serviceable.

Thx in advance!