Oil & Fuel 4100 Smokes

/ 4100 Smokes #1  

Towmater

Tractor
John Deere 4100
I just purchased a used John Deere 4100 and this is the first diesel tractor I have owned. Is it normal at start up to have a puff of black smoke in the summer? I noticed when I advance the throttle fast it shoots out a good puff too. This may be totally normal but would like some support to make me feel better about it. Thanks!

/ 4100 Smokes #2  
Yes, it is all very normal. Congrats on the new 4100.

/ 4100 Smokes
Yes, it is all very normal. Congrats on the new 4100.

Thanks Super Star Kenny! I appreciate it! I love my new tractor!

/ 4100 Smokes #4  
I just purchased a used John Deere 4100 and this is the first diesel tractor I have owned. Is it normal at start up to have a puff of black smoke in the summer? I noticed when I advance the throttle fast it shoots out a good puff too. This may be totally normal but would like some support to make me feel better about it. Thanks!

Towmater -

Congrats on the new (to you) tractor!

I recently purchased a used JD 4600 HST. Mine puts out a puff of black smoke on start up, and will also puff if you shove the throttle ahead quickly. I think all the diesel tractors do that. Certainly, the others I tried did it as well. It takes a few seconds for the combustion to get going efficiently enough to reduce the smoke.

/ 4100 Smokes #5  
Congrats towmater! As stated, it's totally normal. You are going to love it.

Also, something you should probably know, the glow plugs only work on these tractors when the key is in the start position. So in the winter, you will want to pull the PTO switch up before you start it and hold the key all the way to the right for 10 seconds or so to activate the glow plugs. Then push the PTO switch back down and and fire it up. Super Star Kenny helped me with that one when I first got mine. :laughing:

/ 4100 Smokes #6  
Alright... you guys can drop the SSK crap:laughing:

/ 4100 Smokes #7  
As others have said this is normal. My tractor was purchased used and was doing this. I started to use the JD fuel conditioner and after a few tanks it almost never does either of the items you mentioned any more.

Also check fuel sediment bowl and insure there is no water in there.

/ 4100 Smokes
Sounds like kennyd knows something! So your telling me when the pto switch is engaged before start up it kills the ignition switch to allow the glow plugs to warm up? And then push the pto button down to start the tractor after it is warmed up? Is this actually in the manual or is kennyd just a good friend to have?

/ 4100 Smokes #9  
Sounds like kennyd knows something! So your telling me when the pto switch is engaged before start up it kills the ignition switch to allow the glow plugs to warm up? And then push the pto button down to start the tractor after it is warmed up? Is this actually in the manual or is kennyd just a good friend to have?

Yes, or you can leave it gear and do the same thing by turning the key and then switching back to neutral. I don't believe it says anything in the manual about it. I guess Deere was just relying on it to heat as it cranks, but on cold days that can make for rough starting. It has been verified with a test light though, and I can tell you when it was in the "teens" last winter, it makes a huge difference. Also notice that you don't have a glow plug position on your ignition switch or a dash light like most diesels.

Oh, and Kenny is an excellent friend to have! :thumbsup:

/ 4100 Smokes
Yes, I noticed that there is no glow plug light in the dash display. I sell medium duty trucks and we always have a coil light that lights on the dash so I thought it was strange not to find one. The good news is I am aware of it now.