3-Point Hitch JD 4300 HST Hydraulic problems

/ JD 4300 HST Hydraulic problems #1  

Berniesimber

Tractor
04 JD 4410 E-Hydro, 97 JD 870, 72 Ford 3000
Hey Guys. I have a JD 4300 HST with approximately 1058 Hrs. on it. Bought the tractor used with around 900 Hrs. I have never had a problem until recently my Hydraulics just suddenly quit! Hydrostatic transmission works fine but the loader, 3 pt. hitch, and steering quit. Found that the suction strainer was clogged. Cleaned strainer, replaced Hyd. filter and replaced fluid using JD fluid. After completion of the service, the tractor ran great! I then ran for less than 1 hour and now the same problem has occured. The strainer before had slimy, stringy, particles attached and I did find some RTV sealant on it. I looked all through the hydraulic casing and found it to be extremely clean. Felt confident after service and tractor ran like new. Now I am frustated and not sure what to look for. I plan to check the strainer again because it seems as though the pump is starving for fluid again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

/ JD 4300 HST Hydraulic problems #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

Check the strainer again, if it is all slimy again you may have algae growth in the reservoir. If that's not it, then the main return moulded rubber hose that connects the steel pipe to the pump can get soft and collapse. Limited access now...sorry I can't provide a link or picture at this time.

/ JD 4300 HST Hydraulic problems
have read about the algae thing posted elsewhere on TBN. Seems hard to believe, especially after one hour on fresh fluid, but the description of the slime on the strain sure seems like what I found the first time. I had planned to check the hoses and connections between sump and pump. I know exactly which hose you are refering to. I appreciate your input and will also check out your sight. Not sure how to correct the algae issue if I discover that to be the problem and do I loose my $200 in fluid and filters? Plan to work on it on Friday. I would love for it to run like a Deere again:laughing:

/ JD 4300 HST Hydraulic problems #4  
You did not get more algae growth in the new fluid, you got algae flushed loose from the old fluid. Can you change the screen and put the new fluid back in?

/ JD 4300 HST Hydraulic problems
Did drain fluid and found suction screen clogged again. Flushed bottom casing only with about 3 gal. diesel fuel. will refill with the old-but-new fluid this morning and plan to strain it through panty hose or similar tight mesh screen. I am trying to find a form of Microbiocide that may be added, but the dealer and a local oil company say they have not heard of such. Actually, I have been a Industrial Maintenance man for about 18 yrs. and I have never heard of algae growth in Hyd. oil. I now believe that it does exist. Sent a sample off yesterday and hope to find a treatment. Thanks for your time.

Last edited: