6220 Left hand reverser

/ 6220 Left hand reverser #1  

kylejp8

Tractor
We have a 6220 open station JD with a mechanical left hand reverser. It causes no end of problems. We've replaced it twice and it still lasts only a short time. Does anyone have a solution. The dealer attitude is just to 'live with it'.

/ 6220 Left hand reverser #2  
How about more clarification of "no end of problems"? Is the reverser not reversing?

/ 6220 Left hand reverser #3  
Also what component are you replacing, since it is mechanical are you talking the lever, the cable, or actual internal parts to the trans??

/ 6220 Left hand reverser
Sorry, the 'no end of problems' are the rapid wear of the linkages for the left hand reverser. I believe part of the problem is that there are four links in the system between the handle and the cable end, and the back and forth motion stresses those links. The cable appears fine. Would lubricating the cable help or hinder?

/ 6220 Left hand reverser #5  
If you are actually able to lubricate the cable it probably is not sealed prpoerly anymore. Is the cable stiffer than it should be, or the final lever on the trans case to stiff. I could understand the small linkage parts wearing out quickly if there is extra resistance some where (or possibly how the tractor is operated like spur marks down the side, sorry bad cowboy joke). Also what is quickly as far as hours are concerned and how many hours on the tractor itself, just curious.

/ 6220 Left hand reverser
Might have solved my problem. A neighbour suggested undoing all linkages and gradually reattach and test the stiffness of the left hand reverser. It gradually got stiffer as pieces were added (starting at the reverser arm) but was quite good until the last lever was attached that activates the valves. Before opening that up, we tried simply putting penetrating oil where the lever enters the white metal casing. It is better than before, and hopefully is a ling term solution.