Finally got new Deere 2520 this weekend

/ Finally got new Deere 2520 this weekend #11  
Of course we don't get as much snow here, but a combination of the loader and a rear blade works pretty well if you're not in a hurry.
Even new rear blades are pretty inexpensive and they are handy for other things. If you turn them around and angle them, they work pretty well on asphalt without too much damage.

/ Finally got new Deere 2520 this weekend #12  
I used my loader (61 inch bucket) and rear blade to clean a couple of 12 inch snowfalls (gravel drive) and was surprised at how well it did. I also have a front blade and 54 inch blower, but was too lazy to remove the loader and install the front quick hitch.

Anyway, the way I did it was set the loader bucket so that the leading edge was tilted up about an inch above the gravel. Then, I marked the buckt angle gauge with a felt tip pen so I'd know exactly where that point was. After that, I just dropped the bucket and ran down the drive in "float" mode.

Worked well and did not dig into the gravel. Of course, I had to make a few turnouts to push the snow off to the side and when I got to the ends, I moved the piles out of the way with the loader.

During the process, I also had the rear blade (60 inch with gauge wheels) down and angled so it was pushing the remaining snow off to the side.

I have 320 lbs of wheel weights and do not use chains. It plows much better with the ballast box (809 lbs) on it, but, of course, can't do that with the rear blade on it.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with how well it did plowing snow with the loader.

Attachments

• IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 233
   / Finally got new Deere 2520 this weekend #13  
Also, has anybody used the loader bucket to push snow? I realize it's not ideal, but does it work at all,

First year I had my 2520,that's what I used for snow removal. It worked pretty darn good. Ironically,I broke my tractor in on a 2 foot snowfall,and IMO,other than a blower,a bucket was probably the only way to go with that much snow.:thumbsup:

Greg

/ Finally got new Deere 2520 this weekend #14  
Anyway, the way I did it was set the loader bucket so that the leading edge was tilted up about an inch above the gravel. Then, I marked the buckt angle gauge with a felt tip pen so I'd know exactly where that point was. After that, I just dropped the bucket and ran down the drive in "float" mode.

Worked well and did not dig into the gravel. Of course, I had to make a few turnouts to push the snow off to the side and when I got to the ends, I moved the piles out of the way with the loader.

This is excellent advice! I've had my 2520 since June and plan to use my 200CX for snow removal this winter. My only question - with the discussion I've read on the forum as well as in the manual, it almost seems like there's a way to "enter" and "exit" float mode with the loader. I have spread a lot of gravel for our driveway with our new home and have tilted the bucket down and back-bladed it to smooth and even it out. Sometimes it seems to hold and do a good job of pushing, but other times it seems to float over the gravel. To fix it, I adjust the tilt on the bucket and it seems then to dig... but I don't really know what I'm changing besides the angle.

This is probably pretty elementary, but how do I know when I drop the bucket whether I'm in float or not?

Thanks for any help... I'm at 13 hours on my 2520 and absolutely love it!

/ Finally got new Deere 2520 this weekend #15  
kb2520 said:
This is probably pretty elementary, but how do I know when I drop the bucket whether I'm in float or not?

Thanks for any help... I'm at 13 hours on my 2520 and absolutely love it!

When you push the SCV lever all the way forward, there is a "catch" in the feel of the the control lever. That's the float position.

/ Finally got new Deere 2520 this weekend #16  
When you push the SCV lever all the way forward, there is a "catch" in the feel of the the control lever. That's the float position.

Got it. Thanks a lot! I had never intentionally tried to push the SCV over that "catch" before.