JD Model 750 "CLICK"

/ JD Model 750 "CLICK" #1  

tsquare53

Tractor
John Deere 750
Own a JD Model 750 tractor. Will take several turns of the key to start. All that happens is a click. Could this be a neutral or other safety switch or starter solenoid?

/ JD Model 750 "CLICK" #2  
Next time it does that, HOLD the key in the crank position after the solenoid clicks and tap the starter (maybe a couple times) with a hammer (but not hard enough to crack the cast housing!). See if it spins over and starts up. If so, you might need the accessory starter relay that helps to increase the cranking voltage a little bit. I had the very same trouble with one of the 750's that I owned. After I put the extra relay on it, it cranked right up every time afterwards with no more clicking.

/ JD Model 750 "CLICK"
Thank you for your reply. I didn't think it was a safety switch because the loud click came from the starter. So I will try your suggestion and see if it starts. And if it does, then will have to learn what is an accessory relay switch and where it is located. Thanks Kebo for your suggestion.

/ JD Model 750 "CLICK" #4  
You're welcome. If it does need the extra relay, that's not something that is already ON the tractor, you would have to add it! I think John Deere offers one, but you can use just about any heavy duty 12volt relay or solenoid. Older Ford cars and trucks used them, so they are easy to find. If the "tapping" doesn't work, then you might have a more common issue such as a bad/weak battery, bad/loose/corroded wiring somewhere, solenoid sticking or dirty contacts inside it, among a few things.

/ JD Model 750 "CLICK"
After a few raps with a hammer with the key switch on start, still clicks. But after several turns of the key and a few clicks later, it started. Did clean the terminals and starter lug. Will again take your advice and add a relay starter, clean connectors then cross my fingers.

/ JD Model 750 "CLICK" #6  
It sounds like the relay may not be your specific problem in this case, but I can guarantee you if you do wire one into the circuit, it will only HELP the situation and not make it worse.

This thread will tell you more info about adding the extra relay:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...34-does-john-deere-have-weak.html#post1973257

This post will show how one should be wired in. NOTE: I think the wiring diagram shows the connection points for the JD relay but I am NOT certain of that because I used my own generic brand of relay instead of the JD version.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...274613297-does-john-deere-have-weak-relay.jpg

Basically, when you turn the key to crank, you want the extra relay to energize and when you turn the key back from crank to run, the extra relay SHOULD de-energize. If not, you might have some burnt wires or maybe an electrical fire on your hands!! What this extra relay does is briefly tie the solenoid inside the starter motor to the heavy gauge wire that is going to the starter motor, but only when you are in the crank position. This helps overcome the voltage drops to the solenoid inside the starter through the old (and undersized) wiring and corroded connections so the solenoid can "slam" harder to engage the starter motor. Good luck.

/ JD Model 750 "CLICK"
To be on the safe side I'm first going to remove the starter and check for any corroded connections. Will then do a continuity check on the brushes then solenoid. And again agree on your advice by placing an additional 12 volt solenoid ( J.D. relay kit ) in line. Next is to "fire" it up skipping the smoke and flame part. I'll let you know (in a few days) if it works or convincing my wife we needed a new tractor and garage anyway... Thanks Kebo.

/ JD Model 750 "CLICK" #8  
I had the same issue on Dad's 750. I just bypassed the starting system and installed a heavy duty momentary push button starter switch. It came out clean looking but it bypassed all of the safety stuff in the system.