Best box blade width for 2520

/ Best box blade width for 2520 #1  

Strangerover

Tractor
2011 John Deere 2520
What's the best 3PH box blade width for my JD 2520? Also, are there any recommended brands or types? What do I watch out for (damage/wear) if I find a used one?

/ Best box blade width for 2520 #2  
I have a 60 inch Frontier box blade for mine and it seems to be a good match. It's wider than the rear track, fairly heavy built and iMatch compatible.

Attachments

• 7-21-07 051.jpg
    7-21-07 051.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 576
   / Best box blade width for 2520 #3  
I have a 60 inch Frontier box blade for mine and it seems to be a good match. It's wider than the rear track, fairly heavy built and iMatch compatible.

Me too. 5ft seems to work ok.

/ Best box blade width for 2520 #4  
I have a Woods 65" and so far,it handles it just fine.
One thing to be aware of when looking at used,are the slots for the scarifers.
Make sure there aren't worn out (too big) and cracks in the framework around them.

Greg

Attachments

• IMG_1301.jpg
    IMG_1301.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 712
   / Best box blade width for 2520 #5  
I have a Woods 65" and so far,it handles it just fine.
One thing to be aware of when looking at used,are the slots for the scarifers.
Make sure there aren't worn out (too big) and cracks in the framework around them.

Greg

I have a 65" for my 3320 any wouldn't go bigger. I think in alot of soils a 65" will be too much for a 2520. 60" should do nicely.

Matt

/ Best box blade width for 2520 #6  
I have a 65" for my 3320 any wouldn't go bigger. I think in alot of soils a 65" will be too much for a 2520. 60" should do nicely.

Matt

I'm just learning with this thing,but what I've read so far has helped alot.
Getting the angle just right makes a world of difference. One poster stated if you get the hang of working with the right angle and don't try to do too much at one time,you can use any size box blade.:)

Greg

/ Best box blade width for 2520 #7  
60" without doubt. My 2320 will pull a 60" and it has less horsepower than does the 2520 and a little less weight, so I doubt a 2520 would struggle too much doing so. I personally went with an aftermarket 54" for my machine (2320) to better match what the machine could easily pull with a box blade full of material, uphill on my property. I have owned larger JD tractors, including several 3000 series and two 4000 series machines and I can say a properly-sized box blade is faster and more efficient to use than getting one that is too large and cumbersome or that the machine cannot effectively pull. My 3720 would pull a 72" BB left over from my previous 4520, even though it weighed about 275# more, in addition to being wider and deeper. It just would not pull it well. Even ballasted, a 72" box blade on anything but the most level ground or the lightest density soil is too much for that sized (3000) tractor. People do it and some do it well, but not where I live. Consequently, the larger 2000 series can handle 60" or even 65" box blades, but getting much beyond that in size defeats the purpose as the machine cannot handle the weight and material that well and efficiency suffers. Interestingly, I have found on my property with box blade work, especially before our driveway was paved that the difference in actual time to pull and smooth road bond or gravel or dirt was not that much different, even between a 54" and a 60 or 72", so I cannot see any real benefit to going oversized, but one definitely wants to cover the width of the rear tire track on the machine. As for manufacturer, Frontier is my personal choice due to many of them being made for JD by Woods and Befco. Those companies also offer excellent box blades under their own name and usually offer more available features and sizes, too.

John M

/ Best box blade width for 2520 #8  
Check out my pics. i bought a 54" box blade from everything attachments. the tractor handles it perfectly. i had a 60"on my 2305 and yes i was impressed. But overworked especially if i hit a moist spot. the 54 handled dragging the wind row from the snowplow even on icy conditions. maybe id be happy with the 60 but the 54 as a counter balance suits the tractor perfectly for narrow spots fwd and reverse especially when watching different materials on the forks on the front. with just a quick glance for clearances u can focus on the fel or pallet forks.