4720, 455
The manual says:

Every 400 Hours
Change engine oil and filter (if John Deere PLUS-50 is
used).
Change transmission oil and filter.
Clean transmission suction screen.
Replace fuel filter.

That seems like a long time for the first change. Any comments?

JPC

/ First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720 #2  
The manual says:

Every 400 Hours
Change engine oil and filter (if John Deere PLUS-50 is
used).
Change transmission oil and filter.
Clean transmission suction screen.
Replace fuel filter.

That seems like a long time for the first change. Any comments?

JPC

Wow!:confused: Are you sure that's not after the "break-in" change at 50 to 100 hours?

/ First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720 #3  
   / First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720 #4  
However, I always change oils and filters at first 50 hrs on new tractors and then annually after that as I only put 100 to 150 hrs a year on any tractor.
+1 That's what I would consider a good maintenance schedule - and document it well just in case of the unlikely problem.

/ First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720 #5  
The Hydraulic/ transmission oil used in the 4720, 4520, 4320 is Low viscocity Hy guard (J20C) ONLY!! 9.6 gal with ehydro, 10.2 with power reverser. 400hr change interval

Only the ENGINE uses the Plus 50 oil
Use of Plus 50 in the transmission could damage it due to it's higher viscosity.
Never put J20C in the engine!

/ First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720 #6  
John Deere does specify extended oil change intervals when using PLUS-50 oil and John Deere filters. Read more at the link below.

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/5565_fb_Plus5015W40_0W40.htm

However, I always change oils and filters at first 50 hrs on new tractors and then annually after that as I only put 100 to 150 hrs a year on any tractor.
10-4 on the annual change- that is what I have done on my 3320 which I bought new. I recently bought a 4720 with 200 hrs on it. Nothing had been done to it so I changed the engine oil. The hydraulic filter looks rusty so I'm thinking I'll just change that. Online a deere filter is over 50 bucks! I can't find a matching Fram or Baldwin no. Anyone use anything else other than a Deere filter?

/ First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720 #7  
Anyone use anything else other than a Deere filter?
I use 100% Deere oil and filters --- only do engine once a year. John Deere has a complete kit for filters on the 3x20 and 4x20 series, so you can save a little there. Also, the local Deere dealer runs a 10% discount sale every spring and there is a little more saving. Not sure if that 10% discount is a Deere or a dealer thing.

/ First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720 #8  
   / First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720 #9  
I don't compromise on the quality of Deere's filters. Especially when it comes to the hydraulic system. As important as they are, I just run genuine OEM and forget the price. It is worth the piece of mind to me.

A lot of Deere dealers run the 12% discount around here this time of year.

/ First Hydraulic/Trans Oil Change 4720 #10  
I don't compromise on the quality of Deere's filters. Especially when it comes to the hydraulic system. As important as they are, I just run genuine OEM and forget the price. It is worth the piece of mind to me.

A lot of Deere dealers run the 12% discount around here this time of year.

I'm sure you guys are right-for the number of times you change it not worth it-just shocked at the price on the Hyd filter. Just for yucks I did a cross reference on the oil filter. A Fram through Auto Palace was actually MORE expensive than the Deere plus it wasn't a stock item and would have to be ordered.

And yes my dealer also has the sales promotion during "Deere days" in the spring.