Ballast 2210 wheel weights - by Craftsman!

/ 2210 wheel weights - by Craftsman! #1  

mhalla

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2210
<font color="green">I made a pleasant discovery yesterday.

The 55 pound plastic wheel weights from my broken down </font> <font color="black"> 18 HP Sears Craftsman garden tractor </font> <font color="green"> appear to be the right size for my JD 2210! I knew both had 26 inch steel wheels but I wasn't certain about the fit until I removed one of the weights and slid it onto one of the 2210's rear wheels.

The spacing for the bolts looks fine too. I just need to get a set of twelve inch long 1/2 inch bolts to know for sure. The John Deere wheels are wider. Two nine inch long bolts were used to hold each weight on the Sears garden tractor. I think I will use four bolts when I mount the weights to the John Deere for more peace of mind.

Does anyone know how many bolts are used to mount John Deere plastic wheel weights on a 2210 assuming they are mounted the same way? It could be that using two bolts is sufficient on the 2210. On the Sears garden tractor the bolt ran through the weight from the outside with the lock washer and nut on the back side of the wheel. I noticed the holes in the wheel are square so I got to thinking maybe I should use a carriage bolt from the backside of the wheel and put the nut and lock washer on the outside of the weight. That way I could keep better track of the tightness of the nuts. Any opinions?

Hopefully other 2210 owners will find themselves with the same opportunity to reuse Craftsman wheel weights. It looks like a pair of 50 pound John Deere weights run $80. I'm glad I still had the Sears garden tractor sitting around. My wife has been after me to find someone to haul it away ever since the tractor broke down last fall. Good thing I didn't get around to having it hauled off sooner or I wouldn't have gotten another $80 worth of value out of the old tractor.
</font>

/ 2210 wheel weights - by Craftsman! #2  
Every time I throw something out or give it away, it's a sure way of finding a use for it...usually within a few days of discarding it. Good news for you....

The JD plastic covered wheel weights are attached using two threaded rods with two nuts, two flat washers, and two spring-type lock washers. I am certain you can pick up the hardware cheaper at a good hardware store rather than order a mounting kit through your dealer. Either way works. You can probably find the specs and dimensions for the mounting kit at JD's site in the on-line parts section. You'll have to register (for free), but it's a great resource.

I wish the cast iron weights were not so outrageously priced. I'd love to have two 70 # cast iron starter sets with two 50 # add-on discs. However, that would cost more than my box scraper did /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ 2210 wheel weights - by Craftsman!
<font color="green"> Good suggestion bigpete about the JD parts site! I hadn't registered up until now. The site looks very useful. Thanks.</font>

/ 2210 wheel weights - by Craftsman! #4  
They are held on with two threaded rods 1/2-13 x 9.25 long, nuts and washers, 2 per weight