Grease Fittings

/ Grease Fittings #1  

megaboz

Platinum Member
Tractor
'17 2032r (soon)
The other day I was trying to grease the tractor. But one fitting would not take grease. So I took it out plugged into my grease gun and shot a nice stream across the yard. Put it back in, wouldn't take any grease still.

I was telling an old farmer about it, and he recommended I replace the fitting, didn't make sense as the fitting would take grease when it was out. BUt what the heck, for a couple of dollars I bought some new fittings (had to buy a kit since I didn't take it out and didn't know what size). Took out the old in with the new, took grease like there was no problem.

Both fittings were the same size (even measured them), actually made no sense to me, but I am not complaining.

Just thought I would throw that out there before someone starts swinging hammers or something when a grease fitting won't cooperate.

/ Grease Fittings #3  
Probably nothing wrong with the fitting after you expelled the plug of hardened grease and dust. Now you need to clean out the area under the fitting where the grease is actually supposed to flow into and provide lubrication.
The key to prevention of a repeat occurrance is more frequent greasing.

/ Grease Fittings #4  
After my first sarcastic comment......:D

What I do is pull the fitting and squirt a bit of PB Blaster in the hole and replace the fitting. That softens the hardened grease and allows the new stuff to flow in and like the previous poster said, regular periodic greasing eliminates that problem. I find it on used implements ocassionally.

It mostly occurs with cheaper clay based greases. Good quality synthetic grease don't get hard.

/ Grease Fittings #5  
What Rick said . Check the hole after the fitting is removed.
Army Grunt

/ Grease Fittings #6  
What Rick B said . Check the hole after the fitting is removed.
Army Grunt

/ Grease Fittings #7  
I had the same thing happen to me; one fitting that wouldn't take grease until it was removed. I think the fittings just fail somehow. I didn't have any extra fittings so I swiched it with another one on the tractor that was working. The problem followed the bad fitting (which still looked brand new by the way). Now I keep spares;)

/ Grease Fittings
Actually the issue happened original on my kubota. So kiss my green. :)

Take the fitting out and it would take grease. Put the fitting back in, it would take no grease.

My best guess was that the fitting was bad somehow and just wouldn't take grease when installed, maybe it was pressure related? This fitting never did take grease. Tried all the time but since it was on a bh that I rarely used, I never grew too concerned. New fitting took grease with no effort at all.