John Deere 820

/ John Deere 820 #1  

dcditto

Tractor
john deere 820
I have a John Deere 820. Not sure what the year model is, as we inherited it. I'm guessing it is a 60's model.

Had the fuel injector replaced about 4 years ago by a John Deere shop. Been running fine ever since today.

Went to crank it today and it fired up for about 30-45 seconds and then sounded like it was starving for fuel and quit. Repeated attempts to start it were in vain. Unfortunately, the last time it was cranked was sometime earlier this year, around early spring.
It appears to be getting fuel, as I checked the part that has what appears to be a primer lever on it, but was wandering if the fuel could go bad in that amount of time. Also checked the air filter for blockage, none there.

I have basic engine trouble shooting skills, but by no means am I proficient at this.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I am trying to get the food plots ready for my son who is stationed in Iraq and is due to come home in November and is an avid deer hunter.

/ John Deere 820 #3  
Do you have the glass separator bowls below the filters and how do they look?

You should be able to loosen the bleeders and see if you have air in the filters. I would change the filters if they are old and start from there.

/ John Deere 820 #4  
dcditto
I too am assuming it has a 3cyl engine. If so it could have an electric fuel solenoid on the inj pump. Check to see if it clicks when ign.switch is turned on. If not check for a blown fuse or bad connection. Also check for fuel flow from tank to inj pump. Lastly check for a restricted return line/fitting as a diesel will not run if this line or fitting is stopped up. Normally diesel doesn't go bad just gets contaminated with dirt or water.

/ John Deere 820
Yep, that is the tractor

Putting in some bio-feed. My oldest son gets it from the co-op. Dad just gets to pay for everything.

/ John Deere 820
Will check. Thanks for the advice

/ John Deere 820
Don't have the glass bowls anymore as they were changed out about 3-4 years ago, when I took it to the shop.

/ John Deere 820 #8  
Don't have the glass bowls anymore as they were changed out about 3-4 years ago, when I took it to the shop.

Changed out to what? If we are gonna be able to help, then we need to know what you have and what you have done. As much detail as possible would be better. ;)

/ John Deere 820
The glass bowls were changed out to a non glass container, for lack of a better description. Will check this evening to get the name on them.

/ John Deere 820
Someone suggested that I take a rag and dip into gasoline and hold over the intake to get the fumes of the gas into the intake when trying to crank it and see if that will help.