5103 & 553 FEL

/ 5103 & 553 FEL #1  

tmarch

Bronze Member
I found & bought a used 5103 without a FEL and am getting a 553 loader for it. Just curious how much it takes to put the loader on?
Tractor has the hydraulics & joy stick for it, so is it basically bolt it on and plug the lines in?
Dealer wants $200 to do it and I'm thinking that's enuff.

/ 5103 & 553 FEL #2  
That seems reasonable for the dealer to charge. I'm sure they're making plenty off the sale of the loader too, though.

Some things that would make it challenging for an individual to install a loader are the weight of the components and the torque that has to be applied to the mounting bolts. The mounting brackets that are installed on the tractor can be pretty big. The brackets on my Kubota 1153 loader (on M7040SUD tractor) are probably over 150lbs a piece. They're different on every tractor, with some probably being quite a bit heavier. Handling something like that could be a challenge. And the bolts mounting the bracket to the tractor are torqued to between 250 to over 400lbs, on different tractors. It's not impossible to put that much torque on something at home, but doing it somewhat accurately could be a challenge.

For the amount of money you're paying for the tractor and loader, why not spend a couple hundred more to make sure it's installed correctly and you don't damage something trying to install the loader.

/ 5103 & 553 FEL #3  
Just curious how much it takes to put the loader on?
Tractor has the hydraulics & joy stick for it, so is it basically bolt it on and plug the lines in?
Dealer wants $200 to do it and I'm thinking that's enuff.

$200... take it!!! Don't ask any more questions!! (Your dealer might change his mind!) Shop time here in Alaska at my JD dealer is $98/hour. Add in the grease, towels, and hazmat disposal (no kidding!), etc. it comes to $106/hour.

You will receive the loader bundled in pieces on a pallet. You'll have to mount some (maybe all) of the hydraulic cylinders to the loader frame and the flex-line hoses. You'll need an overhead hoist, etc. or another loader to lift the frame from the pallet and configure it in a position that you can work on it as well as drive the tractor into it when finished.

Unless you've got a good shop and a good complement of 1/2" drive tools (very good torque wrench), etc. - I wouldn't recommend it - especially for $200!!

AKfish

Pine Ridge of Nebraska, huh? Very nice country... A few elk here and there, a muley or two, turkeys sittin' and sh!tten' in your hay, a coyote or three chasin' those whitetails where there's a creek and an alfalfa patch... Yup, that would be a good spot to spend some time.

/ 5103 & 553 FEL #4  
I'll agree with what the other posters stated. Having installed several loaders in my life it's a steal at $200.

/ 5103 & 553 FEL #5  
Pay the $200 and realize that your time is worth more than that. That seems right on to me. I don't think they are sticking it to you.