755 will not accelerate

/ 755 will not accelerate #1  

FallstonYJ

Tractor
1988 John Deere 755
Hi folks, I am new to the forum. I have an 88 John Deere 755. It starts right up; idles fine but the engine seems to be vibrating a bit more than usual; but when I move the throttle lever there is absolutely no change in the engine speed?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom
Fallston, MD

Last edited:
   / 755 will not accelerate #3  
Welcome to TBN:)

Have you looked at the linkage to make sure it's still connected to the injection pump?

Attachments

• 755.gif
    755.gif
    26.1 KB · Views: 325
   / 755 will not accelerate #4  
Hi Tom, welcome to the forum! You also might want to check all your hydraulic controls. Make sure the scv lever is not stuck in engaged position. Lower the hitch if it is up. Also if you have power beyond, be sure it is connected properly. If the hydraulics are running in relief, it could be putting enough load on the engine to prevent acceleration.

/ 755 will not accelerate
Thanks much for the prompt replies!

Rustyiron: I don't think there are many hours on the fuel filter but I guess it wouldn't hurt to change it.

kennyd: I checked and the throttle cable is connected properly and moves as it should.

jd110: everything seems to be in proper order regarding the hydraulics.

Some additional info:
I just talked to my 17 year old son; (he takes care of pretty much ALL of the cutting and trimming on our little 4 acres), he told me the 755 was running fine when he put it away and the next time he went to use it the problem showed up. He seems to feel that the throttle does not have as much resistance as it used to. I too think it feels a little too easy to move and doesn't seem to hold firm in position. Is it possible that that the problem is inside the governor housing?

/ 755 will not accelerate #6  
Did it run out of fuel recently. like the last time it was run? Sometimes it takes forever to get all the air out and it will run (shakes) but kinda just starve instead of rev up.
Nice jeep!